Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bathroom reno with tiles and smart lighting

MyHotPL8
Growing in Experience

Bathroom reno with tiles and smart lighting

Our bathroom and toilet were 25 years old and so... BEIGE!

We couldn't afford to get someone in to update it for us, and my husband is not particularly handy. 🚫👐

I have been trying to tackle new challenges lately – and this was so far out of my comfort zone! 😨

Starting the project while my husband was away, it took “a bit” longer than I expected 😉

Hubby helped install a couple of pipes and some fittings, and we got an electrician for the final lighting - but mostly I researched and did it all myself 😊.

Materials

BASIN

FIXTURES and FITTINGS

WALL REPLACEMENT BEHIND BATHTUB

TILING

PAINT

PAINTING EQUIPMENT 

INFINITY MIRROR

BATHTUB SHELVING

VANITY SHELVING

GENERAL & SAFETY

EXTRAS

Tools

TOOLS

Steps

Step 1

BEIGE BEIGE BEIGE!!! 🙈

Both the bathroom and toilet were badly in need of a makeover. 
Everything was so beige and dated - showing its 25 years.

But we couldn't afford a plumber or tiler, or to rip everything out and start again. So I googled stuff, consulted YouTube, and did much research to see what I could do myself. 
It turns out that even middle-aged mums with no experience - but plenty of determination - can do an awful lot! 😜😝💪

The existing flooring and tiles were in decent condition, however there was a lot of grout worn away, mould underneath silicone etc. Vinyl was peeling off the vanity unit, old fluoro light fitting.

Here is what I had to start with... 🙄

Mirror already removed in this photoMirror already removed in this photo

Beige tiles and dated feature tilingBeige tiles and dated feature tiling

More beige...More beige...

... and the beige continues!... and the beige continues!

Step 2

REMOVE VANITY, FITTINGS AND FIXTURES

• Remove the old mirror (the builders had kindly left a massive hole behind it for me to fix 😫...)
  • Remove vanity
  • Remove tapware
  • Remove towel rails and shelves
  • Remove light and powerpoint cover plates
  • Remove pictures and decorations
  • Remove curtains and rods

Step 3

REMOVE SILICONE and GROUT

• Cut and scrape away silicone from all edges around bath and shower recess. Clean throughly to remove all traces of silicone.
  • Scrape away grout between all wall tiles (around vanity, bathtub and shower recess).
    • I used a combination of a grout scraper and a Dremel with grout-removal attachment.
    • More care should be taken where re-grouting (as opposed to removing tiles).
    • Use a mask, gloves, glasses etc - it gets VERY dusty!
Removing grout in the showerRemoving grout in the shower

REMOVE UNWANTED TILES

If replacing tiles, remove the unwanted tiles.

• In my case, I had removed part of the wall behind the tiles near the bath to inspect the plumbing (cartridge sizes etc) inside the wall.
  • In this process we discovered that we could not use our desired tapware due to cartridge sizes - and we did not want to call a plumber to re-fit the plumbing behind the wall.
  • Instead we chose an alternative flick mixer for the bath and shower (later simply re-painting around where it met the tiles to match).

I then decided that instead of painting these wall tiles and repairing the gap, I would lay new tiles myself - something I had never done before!

It did mean however that I had to re-do the wall behind the bath - installing new noggings and cement board!
(Let's just say my husband was a "little shocked" to come home and discover an entire wall missing?! 😳)

Removing tiles behind the bathtubRemoving tiles behind the bathtub

Replacing wall behind the bathtubReplacing wall behind the bathtub

PREPARE WALLS

In my case, I had green textured paint on one wall in the bathroom. After consulting Dulux for assistance, I was advised to sand the wall down and wipe clean, prior to using their "1 Step Prep"  product to help smooth the surface and stop the green from showing through.

I also had to fill some holes in the wall prior to painting.

Step 4

CLEAN and SCRUB

Dust then clean all walls (with sugar soap) ready for painting.

• Sand, clean, scrub all tiles for painting - then clean again. Follow the process outlined on the Dulux Renovation Range website to ensure everything is squeaky clean! This is extremely important.
  • Remove peeling vinyl from old vanity unit and sand/prep for painting.

Step 5

PAINTING

• Paint ceiling (if doing)
  • Paint walls:
    • Protect floor and surfaces with dropcloths
    • Use masking tape and cut in where necessary
    • Undercoat first where required
  • Paint vanity unit (if keeping). (I replaced the top of the unit with a live edge slab, but kept the base and just painted it.)
  • Prepare live edge slab for vanity top:
    • For a lustrous finish do LOTS of sanding
    • Apply a touch of stain if desired
    • Use a good quality varnish so it will stand up to bathroom use

Step 6

TILING and RE-GROUTING

For advice on tiling, see the Bunnings tiling information in their DIY Advice area.

• Mark level lines on wall, and calculate/plan spacing and layout
  • Glue tiles to wall, cutting tiles where necessary
  • Apply grout
  • Re-apply grout to tiles in shower recess
  • Retouch paint near tiles if required

I decided on white subway tiles with black grout for a nice contrast - and visually anchored the black grout by selecting black fittings and tapware.

Tiling behind the bathtub - white subway tiles with black groutTiling behind the bathtub - white subway tiles with black grout

Step 7

PAINT TILES

• Following the Dulux Renovation range instructions, prime/paint/seal wall tiles where desired.
    • Note that the existing tiles will likely need to be cleaned and scrubbed again after the previous tasks.
  • Paint floor tiles in accordance with Renovation Range instructions.
    • Ensure you read the Dulux recommendations before you decide to paint your shower floor - it might make it slippery!
    • Do NOT apply Top Coat to floors - Dulux have added a slight grit in their tile-floor paint to ensure it is not slippery when wet, and a Top Coat will negate this safety precaution.
  • I like to draw over the grout lines with grout paint - it gives a lovely professional finish and lasts for several years.

PAINT BATHTUB

I wasn't intending on painting my bathtub - but it kinda stood out like a sore thumb being beige in my new white bathroom!

It turned out great and I am sooo pleased I went to the effort. White Knight Tub and Basin paint was the product I used - I have been enjoying my bathtub frequently this winter and it still looks new!

Step 8

INSTALL VANITY, FITTINGS and FIXTURES

• Do a test-fit of your basin and vanity top.
    • Because our basin was higher than before, we had to purchase an extension and new trap for the waste water.
    • Ensure your tapware is in an appropriate position near the sink.
    • Mark hole positions for waste and tapware.
  • Drill hole for waste in vanity top, and for basin tapware.
  • Install vanity top onto base.
  • Install basin into vanity top, along with tapware and waste plumbing. 
  • Install bath and shower tapware.
  • Install additional fittings such as:
    • towel rails
    • shelving
    • robe hooks
    • toilet roll holders
    • curtain rods

Step 9

FINAL TOUCHES!

Hooray! Finally there!

Now its time for the fun stuff... 

Hang curtains - its easy to make your own (I did).

Hang pictures on wall:

• I chose metal prints which look just fantastic!
  • Consider purchasing unique digital images online from places such as Shutterstock and send to your favourite online printing store.

After1 Metal print1.jpg

After1 Metal print2.jpg

Install plant hooks and plant up some greenery in hanging baskets:

• Devils Ivy will thrive in very little soil, and is pretty forgiving if you forget to water it for a while! 

After2 Print and plant.jpg

Hang a mirror:

• I made my infinity mirror from scratch - it wasn't difficult at all.
  • Use a smart LED light strip or plug a standard one into a Smart Plug and it will come on automatically at night!

After3 _mirror.jpg

I made a purpose-built shelf to go around my bathtub:

• I attached a smart lighting strip underneath it.
  • It turns on automatically at night, and I can change the colours and mood of the lighting from an app on my phone.

After4 _bathshelf.jpg

I also made a couple of stacking shelves to fit inside our vanity unit, for storing towels and bath-time goodies.

After5 _vanity storage.jpg

I also made a pot plant holder to go between the end of the bath and the shower:

• It holds a small metal trellis to support plants twisting their way up the support. 

After6 Plant trellis.jpg

Add funky toilet roll storage to amuse your guests!

After7 _toilet storage.jpg

What about another matching live edge shelf in the toilet

After8 Toilet shelf.jpg

Have a think about lighting too - I ended up changing out my lights for something a little more modern and industrial:

• In the toilet it was just a bulb and DIY shade that we could do ourselves
  • In the bathroom we needed the electrician to install the new lighting above the mirror for us. 

After9 Lights toilet.jpg

After9 Lights bathroom.jpg

Don't forget to personalise your space with decorations and finishing touches (homemade if you are so inclined!).

After10 _decos1.jpg

After10 _decos2.jpg

After10 _decos3.jpg

Step 10

ENJOY!

Spoil yourself ! It's been a long journey to get here.

Go buy some new towels, bath salts, bubble bath and a bottle of wine 🍷🍾.

Add a speaker 🎶 and a diffuser 🌹for some relaxing music and scents.

Program your smart phone 📱to turn everything on for you. 

Now simply sit back and relax in your new creation... 🛀😴❤️

After11 a1.jpg

After11 a2.jpg

After11 b.jpg

After11 c.jpg

After11 d.jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Bathroom and toilet reno - overcoming a fear of failure, challenging myself, & learning new

Afternoon @MyHotPL8 

Seriously impressed! Your bathroom and toilet reno has come up beautifuly! I had to do a double take on those painted floor tiles :surprised: They look brand new! You have really raised the bar :smile:

Dont you love how easy jobs sometimes cascades into something larger, I really like how you handeld the tiling! I have almost the same colouring as your old bathroom. Nervous to start but when you see results like yours, well and trully worth the effort.

A really nice job. Do you have a rough figure on the cost? I have kept running talleys when I doing a project and they do tend to get scary :smile:

Dave

MyHotPL8
Growing in Experience

Re: Bathroom and toilet reno - overcoming a fear of failure, challenging myself, & learning new

Thankyou so much Dave!

Yeah was huge to start, and there was seriously no way I was gonna finish it in a week before hubby came home lol 🤣

Sooo many things I hadn't done before. Some things not perfect of course - probably should have adjusted the gaps between the subway tiles on the long wall such that I didn't have a minuscule sliver of tile (near impossible to cut) against the corner. Had to google what a nogging even was 😂...

All up around $4300 was my estimate - including tools, paint, towels, decorations, pictures, electrician, fittings etc etc. 

Certainly more than I expected at the start, but much less than the $30k or more quoted to my cousin for her full-blown renovation.

I have used the Dulux Renovation range in our ensuite about 3-4 years ago for a similar (but less full-on) reno. Paint still perfect and just needs a touchup of silicone in the shower, and some new grout in spots. Also need to repaint the grout lines in the shower - but elsewhere they have lasted well. 

Now need some spot lighting for my pictures, and replace those plants I forgot to water 🙄.

Good luck! If I can tackle this, anyone can.

Michelle

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@MyHotPL8 

:smile: Well and trully worth it! And nice to know that the paint has held up from the other reno. 

Have heard so many times that someone has tried to complete a project before their other half are back :smile: Very few manage to finish it lol 

Is he happy with it now? :smile:

Dave

MyHotPL8
Growing in Experience

Hehe... yeah he loves it!

Even enjoys chilling in the bath after I am finished (in spite of the pink glittery bath-bombs!)

And he is very proud of me 😌

Michelle

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @MyHotPL8 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your fantastic shower and bathroom renovation.

What an awesome effort, the timber top for the vanity and the running shelf along the bath really caught my attention. The LED lights must look so good in the evening, I even noticed the timber spacer between the vanity and the bath. The accessories and hanging plants really add a nice touch. What kind of timber did you use for your vanity top?

The lights you've chosen blend in so well with the mirror. The bathroom refresh looks amazing, I agree with @Dave-1, those painted tiles look totally brand new, and the grey colour makes it look so much more modern.

Again, thank you for sharing such a wonderful project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MyHotPL8
Growing in Experience

Thankyou so much Eric!

Vanity top was maple silkwood (42mm thick). (Jake Davey from Jellyshake Timber and Designs: https://www.facebook.com/jellyshaketimberanddesigns)

Yep you are right - I used the offcut between the vanity and the bath as a feature.

Appreciate your encouraging reply and the time you took to write it. You guys are soooo responsive - love it!

Michelle

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects