Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bathroom floor screed is patchy

jhimalaya
Finding My Feet

Bathroom floor screed is patchy

24B26853-6E41-406C-97DA-AD945ABA9435.jpeg

44F12E71-7CE9-4FE3-98A1-9BEA56269B27.jpeg

Hi everyone,

I need help!!!!  Started renovating a bathroom but we’ve had a bit of trouble with the screed. I got someone from air tasker do the job as I couldnt get a tiler to do it as no one would take the job (too small). Anyways, the first time this guy did it, it was coming off easily, the fall was correct but I felt like it wasn’t strong enough. So he came back several weeks later and it’s really patchy. I don’t want to start water proofing and tiling if the screed isn’t done properly. I have no one to ask if it’s ok or not. 

I was thinking of maybe adding to the screed so it’s smoother but I don’t know if that’s going to be ok. Or do I need to redo the whole thing.

Thanks for your help.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Bathroom floor screed is patchy

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jhimalaya. We are looking forward to seeing your new bathroom come together.

Let me tag @EricL and @Adam_W for their thoughts on your screed and next steps. 

For readers of this discussion, Bunnings has a popular guide How to screed a shower base that provides step-by-step instructions. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Bathroom floor screed is patchy

Hello @jhimalaya

Thank you for sharing your question about the screed on your bathroom floor. Generally, I recommend waiting at least two weeks for drying time for shallow concrete work. In that time the concrete will dry out and reach its maximum strength. It's unavoidable that the thin parts of the repair might chip off, this is due to poor preparation of the concrete repair.

If those parts that have cracked have been removed, I suggest re-levelling your entire floor area. It will be easier to start with a level floor, you can isolate your shower area so that you can screed that part with a fall. I suggest using Dunlop 20kg Ardit Floor Leveller, it is used prior to the installation of most types of floor coverings including ceramic tiles, carpet and vinyl.

I recommend using Dunlop 1L Primer And Additive, it is a ready-to-use primer for enhancing the adhesion between surfaces and Dunlop tile adhesives, floor preparation and waterproofing products.

Here is a link to our best advice: How do you level a floor

Here is a handy step-by-step guide on floor levelling: How to level a floor

Let me call on our experienced members @TheRenoDad and @Remarka6le for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects