Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bathroom door jamb (MDF) is swollen and wet at the bottom - how to replace?

Berry
Cultivating a Following

Bathroom door jamb (MDF) is swollen and wet at the bottom - how to replace?

IMG_4663.jpeg

IMG_4662.jpeg

This MDF bathroom door jamb is wet and swollen at the bottom after long term wet from the shower that is right next to it. I went to silicone it and realised it’s ruined. My question is - is it possible to just replace the bottom part, or do I need to replace the whole vertical piece, or the whole jamb? It’s so damp that I was able to pull off part of the affected piece by hand (see pics). If it’s the whole thing that needs replacing … could someone unskilled do it? (not a handy person but happy to have a go!) Thanks 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Bathroom door jamb (MDF) is swollen and wet at the bottom - should I replace just that area?

Hi @Berry,

Have you resolved the water leak that caused this? That's the first thing to do, and there is no point replacing the architrave if you haven't. Please let me know if you need assistance with that.

I'd suggest that it would likely be easier to replace the full length of the splayed architrave than try to match and replace just the lower section. By removing the whole length, you'll also be able to assess whether there is more damage further up the frame. Only some basic skills would be needed to replace the architrave and likely less than replacing just the smaller section. If you replace the smaller section, you'll also have to conceal the join with timber putty. 

I'd start with a claw hammer and place the claw under the architrave at the bottom. Lever the architrave away from the frame. It will likely break off for the first few sections, but then you should be able to remove the remaining length. A flathead screwdriver might also come in handy to pry the architrave away. You can take a section of it into your closest store to match up the profile. Once home, you'll need to add a 45-degree cut to the top of it to match up with the horizontal architrave above the door. You can then glue it in position with Liquid Nails and nail it in place. You'll then need to prime and paint the new timber.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Berry
Cultivating a Following

Re: Bathroom door jamb (MDF) is swollen and wet at the bottom - should I replace just that area?

Thanks Mitchell, I was assuming it was just from water splashing out of the shower door but it sounds like I should check for an internal leak. How would I do that? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

The first thing to do would be to check the grout/silicone inside the shower recess to see if it is cracked or degraded @Berry. Can you show us the inside corner of the shower recess on the other side of the frame?

The presented damage looks a little excessive for just splashes of water. After you have a shower check that no water is running out from under the frame.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects