Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix this deck rail?

nishtha
Growing in Experience

How to fix this deck rail?

20230508_130808.jpg

 we have inherited a severally weathered deck rail. 

Their are two components to it.. 

1. the vertical beam showed in the photo above is load bearing. It's too chipped to apply putty?

Any thoughts how can we restore this?

Am thinking of getting 3 pieces of wood one for each side and and screwing them in. Any thoughts if that will work?

2. This is the top rail. It's 40 mm at the top. Again it's too weather. Want to fix it but also do something that will prevent birds from coming and sitting on it. Any ideas?

20230508_141801.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix this deck rail?

Hello @nishtha 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's splendid to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your deck rail.

If the post is still structurally sound your idea of covering the surface with timber panelling is actually an excellent idea. I recommend using Merbau decking panels to create a cover frame for your post. I also suggest using the same timber to make a cover cap for the top of the rail.

However, if the post is no longer structurally sound it will be necessary to replace it with a new post. I recommend engaging the services of a registered builder to replace the post.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @nishtha 

My apologies for missing the bird deterrent question. There have been a few discussions regarding this, and the solutions offered ranged from using sprays, pellets and mechanical attachments such as bird spikes. Keep in mind that if you have pets such as cats or dogs they'll need to be kept away from the spray and pellet solutions.  

Here are the links to the different discussions:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

nishtha
Growing in Experience

That's amazing.

The merbau decking panels you had is exactly what I had in mind.

Also we have had it checked.. it's structurally sound.

Follow up questions?

Will Bunnings be able to help me cut the wood in the right lengths for the vertical beams or do I need to invest in a tool?

Regarding screws - which one to use and since I am doing this the first time, is there a reliable resource regarding where I should put the screws. Since it's all wood I would imagine it would be ok if I placed them strategically anywhere basically but still want to ask

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @nishtha 

The shop saws are not built to make precision cuts, I suggest investing in a hand saw. I also propose asking your family members and see if any of them have a cordless saw and are able to cut the timber for you.

In regards to the position of the screws, it does not have to be overdone since it is technically just a cover. I suggest 4 screws on each side of the panel equally distant. It should be enough to hold it on to the post. I recommend using Buildex 10-8 x 40mm Climacoat Treated Pine And Hardwood Decking Screws. My best suggestion is to drill pilot holes on the Merbau panels to prevent splitting them.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

nishtha
Growing in Experience

Amazing thanks.

So I am starting work on this.

Should I do off treat the existing wood in any way? It's definitely has years of dirt and moss build up on it 

Or its not going to matter since it's getting covered up anyway?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @nishtha 

I suggest using Cabot's 2.4L Hose On Deck Clean and a scrub brush to remove all the moss and mould built on the surface. If you have a pressure washer, I recommend using it. I also suggest oiling the stripped surfaces before you cover it with Merbau timber.  

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects