Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to waterproof and tile a bathroom?

jamdanicky
Finding My Feet

How to waterproof and tile a bathroom?

Hi guys, I am currently extending and fully renovating a bathroom in a house that is 100 years old.

I have couple of questions before I go any further.

I am having an open shower which will have 1 glass shower panel from a yet to be built wall. I do not want a shower base.  I have a horizontal drain for the shower which will be installed against the wall of shower. 

Question1 is can I tile the entire bathroom floor including shower continuously with no lift or base for shower?

Question 2 is once I've cut the drain holes and tap/faucet holes in floor/walls do I just go ahead and waterproof or am I missing steps?

20240501_111857.jpg

20240501_111944.jpg

20240501_112048.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to waterproof and tile a bathroom?

Hello @jamdanicky 

Thanks for sharing your question regarding your bathroom renovation. 

In regards to your shower flooring, I suggest checking your local council's rules and regulations regarding a tiled shower floor with no base. It is possible to have a shower floor with just a tile base, but I suggest speaking to a trade professional regarding its assembly. 

Next, I recommend engaging the services of a licensed plumber so that they can advise you on the proper fall for your shower floor. This would also be a good time to ask your plumber about the tap or mixer locations along with your proposed floor drain location. 

Waterproofing your bathroom must be accomplished by a trained licensed professional as the application will be inspected and signed off. But to answer your question regarding the cuts made in the floor and wall, it's probable that the waterproofing trade person will install the necessary flanges and seals to those openings.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects