Workshop
Ask a question

School locker makeover

timdawg
Building a Reputation

School locker makeover

hey guys i'm tim and i thought there's no better way of introducing myself to workshop than by sharing one of my projects so here it is...

i came across these old rusty lockers that needed a whole lot of loving.  they got primed and sprayed using rustoleum 2X.  the top was made by joining a heap of old fence pailings together.  after a really good sand the got multiple coats of feast watson tung oil.  came out an absolute treat.

if you've got any questions feel free to ask and thanks for letting me share 

tim

IMG_20140828_215635.jpg

IMG_20140806_081748.jpg

IMG_20140828_220404.jpg

cupofchloe
Having an Impact

Re: school locker makeover

@timdawg This looks absolutely fantastic! Just wondering how you joined the fence pailings together?

Naids
Just Starting Out

Love it.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion @Naids and a big welcome to Workshop. It's great to have you join the community. I'm looking forward to reading about your projects and plans. Please post again soon.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Ursula
Just Starting Out

Re: School locker makeover

The school locker restoration looks great.  I have some rusty wrough iron furniture which is out in the weather and its going rusty.  Would the rustoleum 2X be suitable to restore that as well?  

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

@Ursula 

I would be looking to remove as much rust as possible first before painting using something like this - https://www.bunnings.com.au/chemtech-1l-rust-off-rust-remover_p1107356

HenriEtte
Growing in Experience

That looks brilliant.  Have been looking out for old school lockers to do something similar.  Henriette

Hi @HenriEtte,

I trust @timdawg appreciates your kind feedback. I like @stephenjo's suggestion of checking with the local secondary schools.  My high school always had several that were sitting unused out in the weather waiting for the next skip bin to arrive.

What do you plan on making out of them as I trust our members would like to follow along with such an interesting project?

Mitchell

HenriEtte
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitchell, I thought I would like to turn the lockers into a feature and cupboard space.   Similar style to the original post - spray paint colour of choice and a really nice piece of wood for shelf on top.   Yes, checking outside schools is a good idea.

Henriette

Sounds fantastic @HenriEtte. Looking forward to seeing what you can do once you get your hands on a locker. Hopefully other members will have some further suggestions for you.

Jason

bm77
Getting Established

Love it! Looks so great

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects