Workshop
Ask a question

How to add a dog door

Vicki65
Cultivating a Following

How to add a dog door

PetDoor.jpg

Hello

So glad I found this site. I need to put a doggy door in a screen door. My cat brought  a mouse in showing off, & I said thats it. Im renting so figured I would get a send hand screen door to put dog door on & take off scree  door.

Question  what sort of door is the easiest way to attach dog door? As a.woman I am doing this myself. I googled it, the man make ot look easy.

Most appreciate any feedback.

Vick

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: dog door

@Vicki65,

Was it this video that you watched? - How to install a pet door

I'm sure this is a project you can tackle yourself but feel free to post details of anything you are unsure about and Workshop members will be happy to assist.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Vicki65
Cultivating a Following

Hi Jason
I need to put one in the screen door. I watched one on YouTube, cutting out the screen. Just thought it better than leaving screen door open. Although its easier with wood door. Its a rented house & I can easily replace the door when I move out. Any feedback greatly appreciated if it best to use wood rather than a screen door, I have the tools for a wood door. Thank you for your time. V
MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Yeah, I would probably replace the wooden door and just leave the screen open when you want the dog to be able to come in and out @Vicki65.

Ooow, I am thinking about replacing my hollow core backdoor with a solid core backdoor that I have fitted a dog door into. Then I can have the screen door open while dog door is in use. Solid core is intended to be "kick in" proof. When I looked at all the different solid core doors I don't know which is strong enough. I have seen a hollow core door filled with particle board sheets to strengthen it & convert it to solid. I am wondering if it is cheaper to convert a hollow core door, or just get solid core? If so, which solid core is "kick in" proof?

Vicki65
Cultivating a Following

Most appreciate your response. As its a rented property, its easy to install in a wood door & get a 2nd hand one. Ok my mind is made up dog door in the back door, cheap & easy. It makes life so much easy when I can discuss options. Thank you

Thanks for joining in the discussion @DIYTrouble. I trust Workshop members will be able to provide some assistance and inspiration with this project as well as many others to come in future. Please post whenever you need a hand.

In this instance, you might want to start a new discussion about door strength so it is more easily seen by other members and they can provide the advice you need.

Please let me know if you ever need help getting the most out of Workshop, or have any feedback about how we can make the site more useful to you.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects