Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Where do you wish you had a powerpoint?

Kellie
Making a Splash

Where do you wish you had a powerpoint?

My new apartment is going to be finished soon, and one of the things I want to avoid is regretting that I didn't get something done while the tradies are still around and before I move in. One thing I've thought of is that there's never enough powerpoints at most places I've lived in. Where do you wish you had a powerpoint? 

Powerpoint.png

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Where do you wish you had a powerpoint?

One suggestion: create a "charging station" somewhere unobtrusive. A lot of people these days have multiple portable devices that they use every day. Having somewhere handy where this can be done clutter-free would be a boon. And its extra handy to have powerpoints that also feature USB points.

Jason 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Isobel
Amassing an Audience

A charging station is a good idea. It can certainly help keep things tidy.

The only problem with many solutions is that you need to keep the drawer or cupboard open when charging devices as they can generate a lot of heat and are a possible fire hazard. 

chargingstation.jpgchargingstation1.jpgchargingstation2.jpg

Other suggestions: make sure you have a low power point next to both sides of your bed and allowing for different configurations of the room. Also consider an appliance cupboard or similar in your kitchen with plenty of points for the likes of coffee machines, toasters, kettles, mixers, etc. And do you have a courtyard, patio or deck? Many people forget that all-weather points outside can be very useful.    

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE @Jason, can you, or a web tech retrieve my post that vaporised 45 minutes of effort, due to an "Authentication Failed"?

I'd put a lot of time into it, & then could not retrieve the last 45 minutes that I'd spent on it?

@Andy_Mann

Sorry to hear that. That error typically occurs when users leave the session inactive too long. 

If you go to your user profile page you'll find a list of your auto-saved drafts at the bottom of the page. Alternatively, if you reply to the same post you replied to last night and there is an auto save, you'll be prompted to either load it or discard it.

Jason 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Jason, thanks for your suggestion, I did that yesterday (you'd helped me before on a similar mishap of mine), but I realise now where I went wrong, I'd had 2 long breaks while writing it, so it only saved the first part of the post. :embarassed:

I'll take 2 No-Dose tablets & have another crack at it today. :smile:

Emily
Cultivating a Following

I wish I had more powerpoints in the kitchen! We have quite a large section of bench next to the stove, which has no powerpoints, and then quite a small section of bench next to the sink, which has two powerpoints... You never realise how many kitchen appliances you have that use power until you try to balance them all into a half square metre of bench space

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

First off, I think that Workshopper @BecSparky, would be our most valuable contributor, as I surrendered my licence years ago, & am out of date.

Until then, I'll put in my 2 cents worth. :wink:

@Emily, for sure, kitchen power points in appropriate areas is tricky, there're new appliances being introduced steadily to market, so it's easy to get caught out with not enough powerpoints, in the right places.

I wired our home during the build, & I thought that I had it covered with 3 doubles in the kitchen, WRONG. :embarassed:

I've since replaced a colour co-ordinated double, with a white, surface mount (ugly & bulky) 4 point outlet. :unhappy:

That said, our home is double brick, which means I fitted double powerpoint sized metal wall box receptacles into the brickwork, which makes it harder to upgrade to a larger number of outlets on a single faceplate.

Brick veneer fit-outs have it easier, the metal wall bracket can be modded to fit a larger gang plate, or fit another powerpoint next to the original. BUT, there is a limit to how many you can add, after the original install. Most modern houses will have multiple circuits, that being several power circuit breakers in the meterbox, or the internal sub-board. The number of those circuit breakers (overload safety switches), is calculated to safely handle a reasonable useage number of power draw (maximum demand) at any time, so there is a limit to how many you can safely add later on.

The big difference between when I wired our home, & now, is that the electrician (me, in our case) had to submit a proposed install to the electrical authorities, & have it passed, before they could run a single wire. Nowadays, the sparkie does their best without scrutiny, & signs off on completion of their work.

My advice is to nail your sparkie down in the consultation process, on how & where extra points can be added down the track.

In closing, I'd like to air my disgust of retail ethics, where a store will happily sell costumers electrical cables/fittings & gear, without the customer showing an electrical certificate. I mean, who takes responsibility if someone gets killed, &/or the customer's home burns down? Not happy.

Goldmember
Having an Impact

I don't think we need any more power points, but I wish I had put ethernet cable all over the house. Wifi is much slower than a cable connection. Best and easiest to do before the plaster walls go in! 

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Totally agree @Goldmember, wired networks are the way to go, & if they can be installed at the build stage, it'll save a bucket load of money, hassle, & wireless security stress.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects