Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Where do you wish you had a powerpoint?

Kellie
Making a Splash

Where do you wish you had a powerpoint?

My new apartment is going to be finished soon, and one of the things I want to avoid is regretting that I didn't get something done while the tradies are still around and before I move in. One thing I've thought of is that there's never enough powerpoints at most places I've lived in. Where do you wish you had a powerpoint? 

Powerpoint.png

Kellie
Making a Splash

Re: Where do you wish you had a powerpoint?

I've also learned we are getting NBN connections, so know wondering where I will put that! Hopefully I will get the choice. Thanks for the input. 

darylhewston
Becoming a Leader

@KellieSpec homes/apartments never, ever have enough powerpoints.  Even later on down the track you will be doing something and think 'Gee I wish I had one there'.  Being a sparky myself, I believe that you cannot have enough.  This doesn't mean that you will use them all at once, however trying to get behind the lounge or bed to try and plug something in is a pain.  A charging station is a must in todays world and would only involve a small bracketless shelf and a powerpoint/usb charger beside it in a handy location.  My wife just loves the one I installed in the hallway for the vacuum.

Johnnynl
Cultivating a Following

The simplest method to cover your future requirements is to put draw strings into every corner you dont have a current plan for, i just drilled 🚨20mm hole in every top plate corner, put nail in the attic, run string down to 200mm from bottom of stud and tied off. 5 years later I cut hole in wall where i wanted extra hotpoints, tied string to cable and pulled it up into roof space and off to switchboard. Simple.
Cheers
Johnny
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion @Johnnynl. It's fantastic to have you as part of the Workshop community. It sounds like you have amazing experience and knowledge to share - retired Electro/Mechanical Engineer, Information Systems Manager, Computer Technician, Carpenter and Joiner! I'm really looking forward to seeing more of your posts and reading about your projects and plans.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Can I ask what's a draw string? :embarassed:

Johnnynl
Cultivating a Following

@Kellie wrote:

Can I ask what's a draw string? :embarassed:

Sorry, its just a peice of string/twine,  strong enough to pull some  tru-rip 3 core power cable up or down the wall at a later stage, you just tie it off to a nail top n bottom so you can get at it later.

The most time consuming job adding hotpoints after the build is drilling new pathways inside walls from up in the roof, or having to put conduit outside the wall which doesnt look nice. :smile:

Cheers
Johnny

Kitchen one switch is not turning off

Hi @Patricia64,

If your powerpoint is not turning off, then either it or the internal switch mechanism is faulty. You should employ the services of a licensed electrician to assess the issue and have it fixed.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects