Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What should you get rid of?

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

What should you get rid of?

I've booked a hard rubbish collection for after Christmas and plan to go through all the rooms and cupboards of the house and have a big clean out before then. But there's things I know I should get rid of that are in storage that I can't bear to part with, including an old rocking chair from my childhood. What should you get rid of that you can't seem to?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What should you get rid of?

I really need to clean out under the house. I'm sure there's a lot of stuff under there that could go. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Helen
Having an Impact

What a job! It's a hard one, coming from a family of collectors, there is currently 4 generations of things in my home, garage  & sheds. One has to wonder about it all, things in boxes,not seen or used for years, been having a clean out, it's hard, the memories flood back. Today is 3 years since my husband died yet I still have most of his things. I guess they are just things & really memories are for ever!  I have noticed that the odd things I have got rid of are not missed. So Good Luck!!!!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Sorry for your loss @Helen. I can certainly understand you wanting to keep your husband's things - objects can trigger wonderful memories. Hope you have a special day today with your family. 

Jason

Helen
Having an Impact

Thanks Jason. Saw a post on facebook about this subject, if it gives you "joy" keep it, if not get rid of it. OK, but sometimes meories of things aren,t always jouful but still important. Thats how I feel anyway.

Hi @Helen - I too am sorry for your loss. It occurs to me that your memories are special to you ! What does it matter if you keep the things that are significant to you, no matter how many of them there are? Do what seems right for you my dear and take good care of yourself. I wish you health and happiness. Cheers.:smile:

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

I started the clean out on the weekend with old sporting equipment no longer used, an old table that quickly got snapped up by an appreciative passer by, three old mobile phones and lots and lots of cables to devices that are long gone. The mobiles will be recycled. :smile:

Jason 

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Great advice @Trying

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects