Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What flooring option is best for dogs?

LukeBrowning
Getting Established

What flooring option is best for dogs?

Keen to hear thoughts from dog lovers about the best flooring option. We are just starting to think about it as part of an extensive reno. We have a few furry members of the family and wonder if they will wreck polished timber floorboards with their claws if we go with that option. Thanks, Luke

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Re: What flooring option is best for dogs?

We've got a dog and his claws have caused minor scratches on the polished boards (particularly when the door bell rings!). But while you obsess over every little scratch just after they are polished, after a while you just get so many scratches that it doesn't really matter. I'd happily go again with timber. I'd also imagine that claws will scratch most flooring types, whether its polished concrete, tiles, timber, cork, etc...

Jackson
Making a Splash

@LukeBrowning - you could always approach the problem from a different angle

dogsocks.jpg

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

I'm with @Kermit, we have floating timber floors in our kitchen/sunroom area, & they do get nail scratches, but  we're not fussed at all. In fact the floor looked too nicie nicie when first laid (laminate looking), but now they're lived in & beautiful. :wink:

The better floating floors have a thicker wooden veneer, & can be sanded back & resealed about 3 times before they'll need replacing, but that can be avoided if you're happy to apply a scratch cover product, or rub with a walnut kernel.

http://www.guardsmanaustralia.com/en/furniture_care/wood_care_products/touch-up_marks_and_scratches/...

Hi Andy there are 3 main types of floating floor #1 laminate,# 2 timber veneer or engineered flooring as it is sometimes called.# 3  real (solid timber)  2&3 are re sandable and 1 is not, they all have their place most popular is laminate as it tends to be the most cost efficient they come in various thicknesses 6,7,8,9.2,10,12,12.5 mm the thicker the more expensive,timber veneer is normaly 14.5mm ,10 mm back board and 4.5mm timber surface re sandable maybe twice.solid timbers on average are between 10--20mm and are sandable 3-4 times.the best one for dogs is laminate as the surface is harder than a hardwood i have both timber veneer and laminate in my house and my dog marks the veneer but not the laminate, sorry to ramble on just in case there is any confusion as to the different types.

PJA
Having an Impact

All timber will scratch and dent that to most people is the attraction. As it ages timber starts to show character, and must be real (if that's important) because it's scratched. This includes Bamboo. Bamboo is just a bit tougher, but will still scratch and dent. We have Laminate flooring at home for all of the above mentioned reasons. It doesn't scratch or dent. OK anyone can gouge it, if treated too rough. But you can happily wear the wife's stilettos around the house when she's out. No tell tale dents. Likewise the 400lb rotties are unlikely to damage the floor. Hours of endless fun watching them slip and slide whilst running on the floor until they learn to run on their pads.
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@PJA, you're a risk taking liability mate, two 400lb Rotties at full pelt & out of control could spontaneously deconstruct a load bearing wall.

If I were you, I'd be issuing hard hats to all occupants, & praying that your insurance company's CEO doesn't follow this forum, or, is a besotted Rottie fanperson. :wink:

Anyways, I laid our fancy damage prone floating floor, & dropped a tinnie on it, it's a lasting memory, until I'm forced to move out. :cheeky: :crazy:

By the way, I'm Workshop's serial jokester, & not to be taken seriously.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects