Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What do you look for in a tradie?

RenoQueen
Making a Splash

What do you look for in a tradie?

DIY is great but there are many jobs that we can't do or shouldn't do!

I've had good and bad experiences in the past with tradies so would love to hear what are your tips for finding a good tradesperson? 

Thanks heaps, Vicky

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Re: What do you look for in a tradie?

I always go with recommendations from family and friends. I'm happy to pay a bit more for quality work. And when I find a tradie who I can trust and does great work, I stick with them for everything!

Kim
Having an Impact

Word of mouth is so important - I always ask my friends for a good Tradie recommendation.  I just want a Tradie who is honest and on-time, and can actually do what they tell you they can do.  Where relevant I like to see a portfolio too - particularly with any landscaping work we get done.

Benskimo
Making a Splash

Hi Vicky - it might sound obvious, but for me it's all about asking a LOT of questions up front, to gauge expectations on both sides. Things like:

• How many people will be working on the job? Sometimes higher-than-usual quotes are because there's more than 1 or 2 people working on the job, which might not be necessary.
  • Will they cart all their rubbish away as part of the quote? I've fallen foul of that one before!
  • What kind of access do they need to the property?
  • Sometimes 'done' means different things to different people! Check what their understanding is.
  • Have they done a job just like yours recently? Some tradies will use the same material/technique for everything - best to check. 
Goldmember
Having an Impact

A detailed quote is really important. Obviously get it in writing. It should include the full scope of the job and detail things like rubbish removal and warranty etc. A good quote will also list exclusions - what's not included in the job. You certainly don't want to get half way through the job and have them putting their hand out for more cash. The quote might also tell you something about the tradie's professionalism if it doesn't have their accreditation on it and things like ABN, licence number, GST, etc 

RenoQueen
Making a Splash

This isn't much of a "guide" - https://www.domain.com.au/advice/a-guide-to-choosing-the-right-tradesperson-for-your-home-renovation...

It's basically ask your friends, get quotes and communicate. Interesting that it mentions forums like this though as places to ask for recommendations. 

AHoy
Having an Impact

I just want someone who is reliable and trustworthy. I don't mind if they are not the cheapest as long as they do quality work that is going to last. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects