Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What do you hate about Australian homes?

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

What do you hate about Australian homes?

Just read this article about the most terrible things about Australian houses - http://www.domain.com.au/advice/the-most-terrible-things-about-australian-homes-20160913-grf2ln/

I certainly agree with some of the list, like the number of beautiful brick houses that end up with ugly render on them, overly big garages, environmentally ignorant design and McMansions that are too big and stacked right next to each other. 

Big one for me with modern homes is their lack of eaves, which is stupid in our climate. Our homes are just not very energy efficient. 

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

Re: What do you hate about Australian homes?

@Andy_Mann I don't have a problem with constructive criticism as long as solutions are offered?
As far as I am concerned high density living isn't a scourge and I am looking forward to down sizing soon and remaining in the same area.
Mate I grew up on a small block living above my parents place of business. There were no orange trees in the neighbours back yards and I didn't feel deprived in any way. Horses for courses
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

All good @BIM_Engineer, you've not known the pleasures of childhood like I was so lucky/priviledged to've had, so I completely understand your acceptance of what's happened in the course of your life.

OK, back on topic of what we hate about Australian homes. :wink:

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

@BibbyKat couldn't agree more I always recommend putting in partial provisions for roof space expansion/storage when building/renovating even if you have no intention of upgrading immediately (ie add  thickened footings, Load bearing points or walls, trimmed stairwell opening to ceiling joists,etc,etc) my loft has been partially completed for years because we don't need the extra space but it has added at least $30k to the sale value of our house and would be an easy DIY project for the buyer.
Basements as you can see here on G+
https://plus.google.com/u/1/explore/BasementAEC
are not DIYer projects but still cheaper than current unit $/m^2 prices, where you are unable to extend or add space to units,
with  basements there are minimal design restrictions, other reasons include where you need to overcome:
1.  height restrictions & covenants
2. restriction on altering the buildings form ie heritage
3. security and privacy issues ie private collections, wine cellars,etc..

Helen
Having an Impact

Our homes are really not suited to our climate, things are beginning to change though, but why are lots of houses being built without eaves? verandas, double glazing, maybe bring back louve windows & of coarse insulation in walls,floor & roof.

My 50's home gets hot in summer & cold in winter, insulation in ceiling helps a bit but also traps in heat. Have been thinking of all these things for an extention with outdoor area. After restumping I have to save for wall insulation. it will make a big difference going by what I have read.

I agree, I love my quarter acre, have veg garden, fruit trees, large shed. I plan to keep it as is until I leave this world, maybe I could change my will so it's not subdivided when I go!!!

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Here's the other side of the coin - things Australians do best

1. Embrace ecleticism and blend different styles

2. Embrace the outdoors

3. Use bold colours confidently

4. Use timber

5. Keep things casual by embracing the unusual and rustic

What do you think Australian homes do well?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects