Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What did you do over the weekend?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

What did you do over the weekend?

Hi everyone,

Every Monday I'm keen to hear what you got up to over the weekend.

It might have been starting a new project, getting stuck into some gardening, hosting a cracking BBQ, catching a new movie, getting some exercise, catching up with friends and family, or just relaxing with a good book.

Please share in the discussion below. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: What did you do over the weekend?

I managed to offload a heap of things on Gumtree which resulted in some new coffee beans, a nice bottle of red and some savings for my kids.

Also spent some time on my front lawn, reinforcing a bench seat, building a couple of shelves for my study and cooking some of the best burgers I've ever had before cleaning and swimming in my pool.
----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Gorgeous sunshine on the weekend here in Melbourne. Hope everyone had a good one. Let us know what you got up to in the discussion below.

Jason

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

It was terrible to see the destruction to homes in Sydney's northern beaches yesterday and also hear that people are missing and have lost their lives in floodwaters. I hope everyone in the Workshop community is staying safe and hasn't suffered any losses. 

Jason

CathD
Making a Splash

Yes, thinking of all those in NSW doing it tough at the moment.

This photo was amazing. Very sad to see people lose their houses and even worse to lose their loved ones.

1465249452781.jpg

MartyH
Amassing an Audience

If anyone is battling water, these sandless sandbags are a great idea - super absorbent - https://www.bunnings.com.au/quickdam-300-x-600mm-sandless-sandbag-6-pack_p1090867

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Seen some photos of huge waves...

Sydney.png

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Jason

My heart goes out to those on the Eastern coast. Nature is beautiful, yet at times it can also bring about devasting destruction, & unfortunately they were in the wrong place at the wrong time, when nature took a turn for the worse.

CathD
Making a Splash

Also terrible in Tasmania.

Here's an aerial photograph of Latrobe, near Devonport:

Tasmania.png

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Ticked off the To Do list with mostly maintenance stuff - fixing, changing, etc but did enjoy another trip or two (or three) to Bunnings, bought a new workbench, and whipped up this little clothes rack for my girls.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Jason, my weekend job has taken a week & a half, but we're thrilled with the result.

I won a nice vanity cabinet on a local on-line auction quiiiite a while ago, & I recently got the urge/time to fit it. Sounds simple enough, take old one off, replace with new one.

I wish. :embarassed:

We already had the mixer tap & flex pressure pipes, but soon found that there was more involved. The new vanity had a shelf which made it impossible to refit the original drain trap, but that wasn't going to stop me. I made up a custom trap from PVC fittings, & connected it to the existing floor pipe, using a flexible pipe.

Silly me, I'd previously bought an auto sensor mixer faucet (which didn't get approval), & mistakenly used the flex pipes from that instead of the ones for the new mixer. The problem surfaced when I went to fit the mixer mounting plate under the counter top, it wouldn't fit, & I'd already fitted the flex pressure pipework which was a pain. :frustrated: :embarassed:

OK, time for the test run to see if there were any leaks, which there were, but eventually I got them sorted.

All good, I let Tania do the honours of heading the celebrations by christening the work.

Oops, cold water came out when she moved the lever to the left. :embarassed:

I couldn't believe that I could've messed that up, so went about swapping the flex pressure pipes to put it right.

Time to re-run the opening ceremony & celebrate, but wait, I got it wrong again. Eeeeeek!!!

Today went well, I grouted in the tiles that I'd repositioned from the original install.

What, you say? The original cabinet was deeper than the new one, so I needed matching tiles to cover the gap. Luckily the old cabinet had an open back, the tiler'd done the right thing & tiled the wall inside the cabinet, so I'd snitched them for spares.

Anyways, it was an eventful project that was conquered through sheer perserverance & determination. All said & done, Tania's very proud of me that I battled on regardless, & we have a makeover that looks a treat.

I also fitted a new mirror, towel rail & bath fittings, with a final cost of only $500, which includes the vanity, so very happy indeed.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/cibo-design-1200-x-500mm-outline-mirror-with-white-border_p1730133

https://www.bunnings.com.au/milano-by-enzo-barelli-90cm-stainless-steel-single-towel-rail_p4821009

https://www.bunnings.com.au/mondella-resonance-pin-lever-top-assembly-set_p5002797

In closing, I found & bought (on my own) the bits, parts, pieces in 2 shopping sessions, over 2 days at Bunnings, with an estimated time of 6 hours total. I get confused very easily, which explains the length of time taken, but as Derryn Hinch says, "That's life". :wink:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects