Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What design trends are already tired?

RenoQueen
Making a Splash

What design trends are already tired?

Hi everyone,

Keen to get your thoughts on the hot design trends that you are already sick and tired of. What do you think is already passe in home decorating?

darylhewston
Becoming a Leader

Re: What design trends are already tired?

@RenoQueen

Unfortunately, I think the ol' backyard is nearly a thing of the past, given the size of blocks nowadays.

Cheers'n'beers

Daryl

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Current design trends that will date your kitchen the most.

The article lists brick splashbacks, Nordic lights, stone laminate, built-in appliances, metallics, thick island counters, bold primary colours. 

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Isobel that article is spot on, & I'm glad that those designers have been honest in  giving a glimpse of what motivates the industry. It's in their interest to perpetuate change, it's their way of maintaining their livelihood.

Their recommendations are rock solid, & pretty much how Tania & I have gone about keeping our home fresh & inviting. By contrast, over the time that we've known our friends (10 years after we'd built), they'd renovated the kitchen in their original kitchen, built & moved into a new home, & are on their 3rd kitchen. What saved us so much grief, is that we didn't jump into the Mission Brown & Burnt Orange, or Lime & White colour themes that were all the rage, but went for a sort of Olive Green main colour with a Mustardish colour contrast. Amusingly, a lass that I worked with in my last position before I retired, brought her brother over with her once when she visited. He worked in the hospitality industry so was keep to check out the kitchen, & was blown away by it. He couldn't believe that it was the original kitchen & was mid 30ish years old. Being laminex with no handles, meant that it's super easy to clean as there are no moulding or crevices, or dated hanles to replace.

Now that I think of it, the introduction of Melamine was evil, & feel that there's a need for a Govt subsidised program for its complete removal. :wink:

Just saw this one on another site and laughed. Mason jars!

mason-jar-drink.jpg

@Isobel

I think that article missed the severe industrial look. A bit of concrete or stainless steel can look beautiful and a simple look can be really elegant, but the really severe industrial look will date.

industrial-kitchen.jpg

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

@Kellie

Something that simple could probably be easily dressed up though to keep looking fresh. 

This article might be interesting for those keen to stay ahead of the "trends" - http://www.domain.com.au/advice/hot-home-decor-trends-to-watch-out-for-in-2017-20160909-gr6g20/

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Another article about how to keep your home looking fresh and not dated - http://www.domain.com.au/advice/how-to-keep-your-home-from-looking-dated-20161020-gr52t7/

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm sick & tired of designers spamming their flippant rubbish all over the media, & I'm flabbergasted that anyone could take then seriously.

From those that I've seen on tele, they dress like pompous clowns, & seem completely disconnected from the real world, though I must admit, their pontificating puckers, & grandiose gestures are quite entertaining. :wink:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects