Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What D.I.Y. tasks do you struggle with?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

What D.I.Y. tasks do you struggle with?

A survey published in the Herald Sun newspaper today has found almost two in five drivers admitting they can't change a tyre.

One in five young drivers were even clueless about where the spare tyre was located.

Now it's time for the Workshop community to make their confessions.

What simple D.I.Y. tasks do you struggle with?

Jason

Man-With-Toy-Car.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What D.I.Y. tasks do you struggle with?

I'll kick off...

Has anyone tried to put a trampoline together? We got a round trampoline for the kids a few years back and thought it would be a simple D.I.Y. task to put it together. Wrong!

Hours later with the circular steel frame still not connecting and my wife and I getting increasingly agitated at each other, I was calling the manufacturer's helpline to get advice. Their advice was less than useful, but fortunately a kind neighbour came to the rescue before our marriage and patience was at an end. 

Jason

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

I think the problem with changing tyres now is that garages always use those powered wrenches to tighten the wheel nuts so you've got to be Hercules to get them off with a standard tyre iron.

The worst though @Kermit is when the slightly clueless drivers try to do it themselves and they jack the car up before trying to loosen.

I struggle a bit with really fiddly things. So when a delicate touch and lots of patience is needed, I usually call in the boss.
----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Hay
Building a Reputation

I struggle with pouring paint out of a can! I find it's so hard not to make a mess and waste paint.  I can't stand waste so this is very frustrating. I have one of those pourer thingies, but it doesn't fit all cans.

I've also had to do some caulking (hope this is the right word) for our floors. This is a hard job and I'm not happy with the result. Besides the fact that we picked the wrong colour (don't worry, I'm going to paint it and make it great), the caulking process is so messy and difficult! I have to have another go at it but I'm avoiding it.  

Scottyw
Growing in Experience

I struggle with most things!

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Like Hay, I don't get on with caulking guns. Any success I have is a pure fluke, & a tiny job.
Then I go to use that same cartridge later, thinking that I must've cut the nozzle right etc, but discover that the contents have set solid. : (

I struggle with finding the tool that I was using 5 minutes earlier! I have about 6 tape measures but still struggle to find one when I need it. And pencils, I have about 20 or so all around the place but you can bet your life the one I find first always has a broken lead.
Wood Working with Wayne
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

A new survey suggests one in nine young people in Britain don't know how to change a lightbulb, and over a third can't sew a button...

kel
Making a Splash

i have a love /hate relationship with cutting mitres,it is amazing how the 1st 3 corners fit together well then you add the 4th and damn you're back to square one !!!!!
but according to my wife i have a long list of things i struggle with,like turning my clothes the right way out before putting them in the laundry basket,not sweeping up the saw dust after every single cut,not putting my dish in the dishwasher,putting my dish in the dishwasher when the dishes in it are clean,oh the list goes on..... but i can change a a tyre,a light bulb the oil in the mower and fit new blades,weld do my own plumbing,weld and make anything she wants,not bad for an old girl lol

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects