Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Timber floor scratches and fading

gayathri
Getting Established

Timber floor scratches and fading

Hi, I am newbie here. May be too simple. But as a novice in this area I need help. If already answered please direct me there.

Selling house. Our timber floor has scratches mainly under the chairs,and couch. Any DIY IDEAS please. Have tried store bought timber floor cleaners and polishes.none have worked.

Also the floor has faded opposite the sun facing window.Any suggestion here?

Thank you.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Timber floor scratches and fading

Hi @gayathri,

Welcome to the Workshop community. We trust that you'll get loads of helpful advice and inspiration for your home improvement projects from our clever and creative members. 

I'd recommend you start with this previous discussion - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Whole-of-House/Chlorine-mark-on-timber-floor/m-p/10444 While the cause of the damage is obviously different, some of the suggestions might be worth a try. I would also encourage you to post some photos if you can. It will help members to see what you are working with. I suspect that there is really nothing that will have the same impact as sanding and re-polishing the timber boards though. Whether that is a worthwhile investment before selling is something worth discussing with your real estate agent. 

I have separated your second question into a new discussion as it will be much more likely to be seen and answered by other members. It can be found here - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Whole-of-House/Hanging-pictures-without-damaging-walls/m-p/31297

Thanks again for joining in the discussion. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
gayathri
Getting Established

Thank you Jason. Really appreciate your suggestions.

Also have tried the 3M hooks for the paintings. Works great. Thanks to all.
Cheers
Gayathri
Mathy
Becoming a Leader

Hi @gayathri - I see it’s been 2 weeks and no replies regarding your timber floor. I guess you may have fixed it, but I’m happy to offer a couple of suggestions.

There’s a couple of products that could help with the scratches, in the Woodcare Aisle at Bunnings there should be 2 products made by Gilly Stephensons - they are a dark and light scratch cover, designed to re-stain scratches in wood - not a lot of choice regarding colour matching, especially if your timber floor is mid-range colour. Also, not cheap.

The other option is wax scratch filler, which are usually located in the paint aisle where all the fillers, etc., are located. They are called Waxstix and they’re made by Timbermate. There’s a range of colours for matching to your wood, and they’re much more cost efficient. So, for shallow scratches, you rub them across, and then buff. For deeper scratches, you can melt the wax into the scratch, smooth over, let dry and then buff. The advantage is, you get can get a good match to the shine level on your floor. Hope this helps, cheers Deb :smile:

gayathri
Getting Established

Hi Deb, that's quite useful.will try the 2nd option first.
Have been googling for all these kind of stuff. Somewhere came to know the use of walnut and tried rubbing over the scratches. It really works but only for the superficial ones. :smile: Gets bit crumbly.

Will definitely try your suggestion.
Thanks

Cheers
Gayathri

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects