Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Tile to laminate transition - hidden attachment of transition strip

tibz
Getting Established

Tile to laminate transition - hidden attachment of transition strip

I am about to lay timber laminate in a lounge room that has a tile strip along one side running from the front door to the family room.  The family room is separated from the lounge room by a wall and door.  I want to install a transition strip along the edge of the tiles to hold down the edge of the timber laminate.  The difference in height is 2-4 mm.

I have found at Bunnings that there is products at Bunnings from Roberts that are held down by magic plugs.  However I am unable to find instructions, tech specs or videos on how these products work.  Can anyone point me in the right direction or help with instructions and how to tips?

percyferry
Just Starting Out

Re: Tile to laminate transition - hidden attachment of transition strip

The Roberts Magic if [TM] are supposed to work. However, instructions are sparse and the ones included are wrong! Bunnings will tell you you need a 6.5mm drill, or hammer drill if you're going into masonry, but you actually need 6mm bits. I tried the 6 5mm and the trim was loose and the "magic plugs" were damaged in the removal. Dollars later, a builder told me to use 6mm drill bits. That works, but the magic plugs are fragile and break or bend very easily. These plugs aren't magic, except the price of them seems to come from some fairytale. They would be great if they were brass or steel. But they're not.

6.5mm drills are too loose. Use 6mm.

Many thanks for joining in the discussion and sharing your experience @percyferry. We are looking forward to reading more of your posts soon. Please don't hesitate to post whenever you have something to share or need a hand with a project around the house and garden.

Welcome to Workshop,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects