Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Things that make houses look outdated

RenoQueen
Making a Splash

Things that make houses look outdated

My parents are looking for a new house and I've been helping them out on the hunt. I'm getting surprised at how many houses you see that have outdated features that could have easily been replaced to make a much better impression with buyers. Things like wood panelling, lino floors, tiled benchtops and white appliances. 

What things do you think make houses look outdated? Have you got any at your place?

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Re: Things that make houses look outdated

Pastel colours, mission brown, carpet in the bathroom, slate floors, exposed beams, above ground pools, floral carpet, a built-in bar, arches.  

Helen
Having an Impact

Interesting discussion! Where do I start? Have 1950s kitchen, narrow benches, old sink, stove set in wall where slow combustion stove used to be, bad working layout!

Pokey laundry. Not sure what you mean in regard to white goods!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Our place had plenty of fantastic features when we moved in. Floral carpet in the front of the house and (even worse) carpet squares out the back. An orange and brown kitchen. Timber panelling in the family room. A tiny concrete deck. A pink bath. (We've kept the pink bath though!)

I reckon features like this can be terrific as a househunter as they can put off other prospective buyers. Those with a little more imagination that can see potential and are prepared to do the renovation work can get a bargain. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@Helen

White appliances are unfashionable now. Most people prefer stainless steel.

Eg:

4a000087-fba3-4b70-860f-2980734e1b44_1000.jpg Freestanding-Falcon-Dual-Fuel-OvenStove-PROP90FXDFSS-CH.jpg

Scottyw
Growing in Experience

Saloon doors, built-in bars and billiard rooms.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects