Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Suitable glue for attaching metal legs to solid glass table [REPAIR]

Sporky
Building a Reputation

Hi guys,

I need some help with this particular project.

I have a large piece of glass that is the tabletop for our dining room table. Unfortunately when it was moved the guys twisted off a leg instead of removing it properly so I have three legs which can be attached and one that cannot.

I am after recommendations on a suitable glue that will dry clear (important so it cannot be seen from the right side) , be strong enough to support the weight of the table and the things that go on top and dries fairly quickly (I don't have the ability to hold it or clamp it).

I will try to add photos but I don't think this website likes my phone...

I have access to a bunnings, a rural supplies store, standard auto stores (recon, super cheap etc) and I can travel so long as the destination is on a train line or public transport - I don't have access to credit card mail order type businesses - so local or warragul accessible places only please!!

Thanks in advance!

Sammie
Johnnynl
Cultivating a Following

Re: Suitable glue for attaching metal legs to solid glass table [REPAIR]

Hi Sammie, I would use "clear araldite" its a two tube mix of clear glue and hardener, You may wish to try it first with a glass bottle or similar and a piece of steel, just for piece of mind :smile: but I have glued glass and steel before very successfully. Just a thought though, its likely your frame is painted, and unless the paint is well adhered to the frame, that will be your weak point. If its not painted then no worries :smile:

Cheers
Johnny
Johnnynl
Cultivating a Following

Btw, araldite is available from most supermarkets, hardware stores and bunnings stores :smile:
Cheers
Johnny
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sammie @Sporky,

I hope @Johnnynl's advice was useful. Please let us know how you go with the repair. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Sporky
Building a Reputation

That's a good question..... how do I work out if the legs are painted? I don't think they are (they are not chromed) but not sure. There is a small amount of rust on the leg so I don't think it's painted.....

Thanks on the option! I will look into it once I know how to tell.... :laugh:
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Perhaps you could upload a photo @Sporky?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dan
Cultivating a Following

I recently performed a very similar fix, I had a piece of glass that had 3 mountings on it that had come off. Ran down to Bunnings and grabbed some araldite epoxy rated to 150kgs. It needs to set for 24 hours but it will provide the best adhesion. There are fasting setting ones available but if you want a strong lasting fix go with the slowest setting epoxy.

Only other advice I can add is use it sparingly, I used too much then had to cut a lot of it back off before it set! Best way to remove it before it has set is to use a blade to cut it away off the glass.

Good luck!
Sporky
Building a Reputation

Glasstop9.jpg
Sporky
Building a Reputation

Remainder of glue

Leftoverglue.jpg
Sporky
Building a Reputation

An intact leg, glass side.

A good leg.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects