Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Roof paint

kathd
Getting Established

Roof paint

Hi,

we are thinking of painting our 20 years old cottage roof before installing solar panels. It is currently this faded cottage green I presume. Our style indoor and hopefully soon outdoor is a mixture of industrial & cottage, therefore we are struggling to chose the color. All our neighbors in the countryside are going into dark greys but it would be too dark considering the color of the brick and gutters. We were thinking of painting the gutters white but many houses who have tried to go to lighter colors seems to have failed to cover it properly. Therefore we were thinking perhaps going into a Pale Eucalypt Colorbond or Windspray Colorbond. Which would you prefer ?WP_20190219_07_55_38_Pro.jpg

WP_20190224_13_06_20_Pro.jpg

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Roof paint

Hello @kathd

I will place my vote with Windspray. Light colours will do 2 things. It will reflect solar heat and your foof will not absorb it as much. The second is that with the benefit of solar reflection your ceiĺing cavity will not be as hot and you will have a cooler house! Don't worry about the neighbors. This is your house, choose what makes you happy. My suggested tip are to use the best roof primer you can buy and when repairing patches or siliconing over screw heads to use roof rated silicone. People often fall into the saving trap when it comes to roof repair. Your roof needs to withstand the harshest weather conditions. I suggest getting the best materials possible budget permitting. Goodluck looking forward to before and after photos!

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

kathd
Getting Established

Thanks Redracer, true we've got to look at doing it properly, not just the color for a long lasting job. Thank you very much !

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Do you have any Photoshop skills @kathd? I wish I did as it can be handy in situations like this!

Windspray would look fantastic. If you also replaced the windows with full-sized panels it would really modernise the look of your beautiful home. 

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it. 

Roof3.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects