Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Replacing carpet

Ling
Just Starting Out

Replacing carpet

flooring.jpg

My mum is now in supported care and I need to sell her house. The carpet needs replacing and the agent has suggested that instead of replacing the carpet I get a floating floor - either timber or laminate. What do you prefer?

Do you think I will get a higher price for the house if I replace the carpet with a timber floor? 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Replacing carpet

Welcome to Workshop @Ling. Great to have you join us. I look forward to reading more about your projects and plans.

When we moved into our current house the first thing we did was pull up all the carpet, including the bedrooms. To our joy we found the floorboards were in great condition so we just had to polish and seal them.You might be lucky and have the same discovery rather than having to install a floating floor. Have you pulled up some carpet to see what's underneath?

Over a decade later we would certainly never go back. We love having floorboards - so easy to clean and they look great. I would imagine many buyers feel like us. 

We actually did the reverse in our first home - put carpet over floorboards in an inner-city Edwardian (in the bedrooms only) because we thought it might make the bedrooms warmer and more cosy but regretted it later. It's so much harder to keep clean and looking good, and it didn't really make the rooms warmer. 

I look forward to reading opinions from other Workshop members. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

We certainly don't regret replacing the carpet. I think most buyers will prefer it gone. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@ProjectPete would be another member who might like to add to this topic as I recall him offering carpet that he had removed from his home.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Floating floorboards are the way to go for a quick and easy (and cheap) reno and yes I do believe you'll add appeal and value to your home. In saying this its not as if youll add tens of thousands and the difference in sell price would likely be negligible, but it'll make it more appealing and therefore help with actually selling it.

They're super easy to install too.
----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects