Workshop
Start a discussion

The Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Renovators Nightmare!

BIM_Engineer
Valued Contributor

Renovators Nightmare!

I was jokingly asked "what's worse than having you pants pulled down on Site"

my  reply " having you House fall down"

" We've been done over"- What I've learnt from my renovation nightmare

Here are my tips for the booming $10 billion/year renovation market

Before you DI4Me (hire subbies), DIY, DIL8R

1. Get expert Trusted Advice before you start

2. Have full documentation including Engineering, Compliance, building certification, Materials, costs,etc

3. The internet is all about Information, Data, Proofs, automation,etc

4. Weight up at least 3 alternatives based on 3 above

Happy renovating

Kermit
Valued Contributor

Re: Renovators Nightmare!

I think I've written here before that we've done a couple of major reno projects and the relationship with the first builder didn't end well, but the second was a dream. It was communication that was the key difference.

Do expect stuff to go wrong, or there will be disagreements over what you and the tradies or builders think is acceptable. Or sometimes you just might change your mind once you see something built. That's when it's important to have a builder and/or tradies that are happy to listen to you, and flexible enough to change track mid-way through. I reckon most are that way - they know that the most important thing is that you the client are happy in the long run. 

If you are getting recommendations about builders or tradies from others, I'd make sure that good communication is at the top of the list. 

BIM_Engineer
Valued Contributor

Re: Renovators Nightmare!

You can Google Trade Rates  and wind up with rubbish

or you can use Building Information, G+ Sheets, Forms, check the Data & proofs then decide

"Forewarned is forearmed"

Why join the Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects