Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Renovations

Marg19
Growing in Experience

Renovations

Hi.  I'm renovating a 60's home, and really enjoying the process.  I have painted, wallpapered, ripped out doors and shelving.  I love seeing what people have accomplished.  My next big project is to do something about the very old ceramic tiles. I'm wondering if I can cover them with vynal planks.  I know I would have to fill in all the grouting to make a smooth surface.  Any ideas on would it be a possibility or maybe have other options?

Re: RodAndo. What is a floor leveler? Was planning to go over the top with vynal flooring.

Good answer @Marg19, you beat me to it.

I was looking at laying vinyl planks in an extension rennovation I'm currently undertaking. At the end I was put off as this will be going over a number of different sub floors including existing hardwood floorboards. I was worried about the shadowing that may eventually come through as the floorboards arent even and the time / effort and cost of sanding these back has pushed me to look at other options.

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Re: RodAndo. What is a floor leveler? Was planning to go over the top with vynal flooring.

My lazy-butt thought would be to put down a thickish floating floor underlay, before installing the vinyl boards. But there's an if, the tiles need to have been laid well, that being the surface is even, without any major irregularities.

To get an idea of how regular or bad the tile surface is, try laying a straight edge on top of the tiles, shine a light underneath, & look for how much light comes through.

If it's all over the place, lift the tiles as shown in kermit's link to the Bunnings vid, & lay the vinyl tiles as directed on the packaging.

If it looks good, just underlay & install.

Hope this helps

Marg19
Growing in Experience

Re: Renovations

Thanks for that.  I found it very useful.

Thanks for replying.  My tiles are probably around the same age, but look far worse. You have achieved a great look.

Marg19
Growing in Experience

Thank you so much.  Yes, it looks messy, but is certainly another option.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Marg19,

How are your renovations going?

We have a discussion on Workshop today that you might like to join as I recall you saying that you wallpapered your home. It would be great to see some photos of what you have done and read about your design decisions. The discussion is Would you hang wallpaper in your house?

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects