Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Renovation / extension well underway. The Olympic bricks have been cleaned and getting re used.

RodAndo
Having an Impact

Renovation / extension well underway. The Olympic bricks have been cleaned and getting re used.

image.jpeg
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Renovation / extension well underway. The Olympic bricks have been cleaned and getting re used.

What the story behind the bricks @RodAndo?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
RodAndo
Having an Impact

Re: Renovation / extension well underway. The Olympic bricks have been cleaned and getting re used.

Hi @Jason,

These bricks were originally produced to commemorate the Melbourne Olympic games and I believe went into a lot of the cream brick veneer houses built in the Southern suburbs of Melbourne over the late 50's.

The then market garden areas in Cheltenham and East Bentleigh are probably full of houses made with these bricks but then these are also prime knock down / rebuild areas so plenty have probably already gone to landfill.

Just as a curiosity around the time of the 2000 Sydney Olympics there was a retailer in Melbourne selling boxed commemorative 1956 bricks for $20 each.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing @RodAndo.

I live in a cream brick 50s place so have a soft spot for them, and feel sad when I see similar houses in the area get razed. 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@RodAndo

Wow, that is a true treasure.

I still remember my Dad looking proud & grand in his official Olympics Outfit, as he was about to headed off, as a Wrestling Official.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects