Workshop
Ask a question

Renovating an investment property

WisteriaLane
Cultivating a Following

Renovating an investment property

We've just purchased a house for an investment and I thought it would be a great opportunity to share my journey as we've just knocked our first wall down :smile: Like most renovators we're on a tight budget but we obviously need to appeal to tenants who will be renting out the house. The reno will involve a new bathroom, new laundry, opening up the living area and a fresh paint. Below is an update of the living room:

Before: 

As you can see it has potential with colonial style windows..  

IMG_8373.JPG

After: 

But of course the nice colonial window was also ripped out... 

IMG_8426.JPG

Although now there is no distinct hallway, it's opened up the living room - watch this space! 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Renovating An Investment Property

Thanks for sharing @WisteriaLane, I'm looking forward to seeing more.

It would be great to see the old floorplan and what you have planned...

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
cupofchloe
Having an Impact

I love a demo

WisteriaLane
Cultivating a Following

Hi Everyone, 

I'm back :smile: 

In the end it turned out to be only a 5 week reno however I've been busy with other bits and pieces around the house. 

Here's the after shot of my inital post:

IMG_8739.JPG

Toilet: Before and After 

The before picture actually looks half decent in this shot. Let me just clarify, these tiles were baby pink and blue.. kind of like the colour palette for a baby shower. The tiles we chose for the bathroom and toilet were a marble look to create the modern look for less. 

PVAE1500.jpg

Bathroom: Before

IMG_8387.JPG

Bathroom: After

IMG_8748.JPG

IMG_8747.JPG

Floating floorboards: Before and after

JVLV3405.jpg

Wardrobes: Before 

Just a fresh paint and changed the door knobs 

IMG_8385.JPG

After: Also added a mirror on the middle door 

IMG_8749.JPG

I don't have a before picture of the next one as it was literally a blank baby pink wall before in the living area. This was done just as a little feature and was really easy to do. 4 strips of timber going vertically down, more timber going horizontally across, just using a hammer and nails (should have probably invested in a nail gun). 

IMG_8744.JPG

The house hasn't been furnished yet so the before and after of bedrooms don't look complete. Once the furniture arrives I'll definately post them up :smile: 

@WisteriaLane

Fantastic job! Love what you have done. The bathroom in particular looks really impressive. Also the timber feature wall in the living room is a great idea and looks really easy to achieve. You have definitely inspired me with some ideas for my home. 

Were the floating floors you used hard to install? 

Looks amazing - great job!

Thanks kaylah_rose! 

It's so nice to have a white bathroom with good lighting, probably my favourite part of our reno. 

My dad DIY'd the flooring and his a handyman so it wasn't too hard for him. In saying that it took him a while to do as it's not his trade and there was a lot of cutting involved in tighter spaces around the house. 

Wow absolutely love the before and after shots @WisteriaLane! The bathroom is very impressive. The tiles in particular are just gorgeous. Be sure to keep us updated on further progress...

I like the wall idea to hide cables as well... 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Renovating an investment property

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @MumB.

It's great to have you join us and I'm sure WisteriaLane appreciates your comments. Let me mention @WisteriaLane so they are alerted to your response. We look forward to hearing about what projects you have going on around the house and garden and I trust you'll find loads of inspiration from our knowledgable members. We encourage you to let us know anytime you need assistance or have something to share with the community.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects