Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Removing paint from various surfaces

shivs
Finding My Feet

Removing paint from various surfaces

My house was painted about 10 months ago but it wasn't cleaned up properly. Lots of paint left everywhere (see pics) on door knobs, frosted glass windows and door entry. I've tried using water-based turp (not much change) and methylated spirit (not much luck there, started turning the frosted glass slightly blue). What should I use to get rid of these unsightly stains and clean them up on each surface? And how should I do it for each surface? For eg, a paint scraper might help for the glass but how to scrub paint off on the circular door knobs?

Help!!IMG_6571.JPGIMG_6572.JPGIMG_6573.JPGIMG_6575.JPGIMG_6579.JPGIMG_6580.JPG

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Removing paint from various surfaces

Oh dear @shivs. Those photos look like a good advertisement for how important preparation is before painting and why you should always use painter's tape. It will save a lot of time and money.  

Never fear, I'm sure the Workshop community will be happy to help with suggestions about removing the paint from the various surfaces. 

Welcome to Workshop. We're really pleased you could join us and trust that you'll get loads of helpful advice and inspiration for your projects around the house and garden from our amazing members.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MartyH
Amassing an Audience

TBH I would just replace the door knobs...

That's a great video. Would be interesting to see if patterned windows are much different.

I ended up using a scraper with a slanted edge that I bought from Bunnings. If you use the tip of the scrapper, it actually works but you have to be gentle with it. Like the video says, if you wet the surface, it helps you scrape the paint off faster. I didn't want to replace the knobs. They are too expensive compared to a few hours of cleaning them. Of course if you have the budget, why not. Another thing that worked was the Stanley knife where we shaved off paint as though we were filing something. If that makes sense! Hope it helps others. I'll update with how we did frosted glass. As for the architraves, probably best to paint over?
Jaymo
Getting Established

Yeah ... Repaint the architraves, when using water based paints keep moist rags handy for any mistakes, keep several rags at hand or wash out the rag after each use ... it's easy to wipe of excess and turps and and a rag at hand when painting with oils, don't apply the turps to rag till you need to, there are videos on youtube how to remove an entry set (door handle) remove the entry set and scrub with a nylon scourer in the laundry sink, graffiti remover helps heaps if it's stubborn paint (not paint stripper) the paint on the glass can be scratched off with many different kitchen items, start with butter knives or even an old Negative screwdriver that is worn, rounded or ground to a suitable shape for purpose or even a wood chisel (best for flat glass)
shivs
Finding My Feet

Great ideas - will give it a go and report back.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects