Workshop
Start a discussion

The Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Removing old paint from walls

CaptainBuff
Established Contributor

Re: Removing old paint from walls

G'day @Kree8 mate,

I don't know if this will be any help to you - and I notice that you said you have tried sanders already - but my belt sander is a bunky old dinosaur I got for free (with some sanding belts) for installing a guys car stereo. I have no idea how old it is and it is showing plenty of age...but when prepping for a tile job I have on the go it absolutely melted through the paint layer, the white set layer, and chewed at the render layer of my walls! I think I only had an old 80 grit on it as well; when I put a new 40 grit on I had to make sure I didnt take the bricks out 
I understand you mentioned you have a dust allergy so this may not be your preferred option (I dodgied together an adapter from the belt sander outlet to my el cheapo Ozito vacuum cleaners so the mess was minimal; however I would not advise this approach if you DIDN'T have a vacuum system....seriously...). I have also never worked with masonite other than my garage peg board so maybe this isn't an option on that material?
Just trying to help mate...there are other guys that have commented before that know a lot more than I do! Just humbly though it sounds like hard going man...

Cheers

Don't hold my professional qualifications against me.
Highlighted
Kree8
Budding Contributor

Re: Removing old paint from walls

@CaptainBuff wrote:

G'day @Kree8 mate,

I don't know if this will be any help to you - and I notice that you said you have tried sanders already - but my belt sander is a bunky old dinosaur I got for free (with some sanding belts) for installing a guys car stereo. I have no idea how old it is and it is showing plenty of age...but when prepping for a tile job I have on the go it absolutely melted through the paint layer, the white set layer, and chewed at the render layer of my walls! I think I only had an old 80 grit on it as well; when I put a new 40 grit on I had to make sure I didnt take the bricks out 
I understand you mentioned you have a dust allergy so this may not be your preferred option (I dodgied together an adapter from the belt sander outlet to my el cheapo Ozito vacuum cleaners so the mess was minimal; however I would not advise this approach if you DIDN'T have a vacuum system....seriously...). I have also never worked with masonite other than my garage peg board so maybe this isn't an option on that material?
Just trying to help mate...there are other guys that have commented before that know a lot more than I do! Just humbly though it sounds like hard going man...

Cheers

g’day, @CaptainBuff, thanks for the input I actually tried my belt sander (I wear a dust mask when sanding). The Masonite turned out to be not quite flat enough. It was great on the areas right above the frame work, but it had curves where there was air behind, and my orbital sander just did absolutely nothing, so I gave up and went back to the heat gun. And your trick with the vacuum attached to the sander works a treat when I AM sanding something (I can’t afft to hire a floor sander, so I’m using my cheap little belt sander with 36 grit belts - does indeed chew up the uneven floorboards). I’m using the paint stripper on the tricky parts of the window sills and door frames  (covering with plastic wrap as suggested by another member) as it’s easier in the tight corners. I want to heartily thank everyone for their input. I’m learning so much doing these renovations. Quite a far cry from digestive health!

Why join the Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects