Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Removing old paint from walls

Kree8
Getting Established

Removing old paint from walls

Blade Scraper.pngG’day, noobie here. I’ve been renovating my house for ages and it’s taking even longer again because I’m working almost full-time, have a kid, on my own and doing post-grad studies which is whipping my butt a bit. A staff member at my local Bunnings advised me to remove all the old paint in my house as it is crackled in places and showing signs of mould in others. The pics I showed (on my old phone that died a painful death) had him suggesting they used a water based paint over an enamel paint. It’s such a slow process though. I’ve been using a blade scraper and heat gun, but I’m wondering if there’s a quicker way (that won’t bust my chops on the electric bill)? I’ve tried various sanders, but it just doesn’t seem to budge, and on one particular wall in my bedroom (sleeping on couch until bedroom done), the old paint isn’t even budging with the heat gun! I have Masonite walls in most of the house. Anyone have an idea how to get this stuff off quicker? I have big plans for my bedroom, but I’m stuck until I can repaint it.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Removing old paint from walls

Hi @Kree8,

Many thanks for joining Workshop. We're really pleased to have you in the community and trust that you'll get loads of helpful advice and inspiration for your projects around the home from our clever and creative members. I'm sure we can all identify with the challenge of finding enough time to work on the house. 

Have you tried paint stripper? 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
gippslandhome
Becoming a Leader

Welcome to the community @Kree8 

I have to agree with @Jason  that paint strippers can be a better option than heat gun.

Just a little trick I learnt from stripping slate is for troublesome areas put the stripper on cover in glad wrap and leave for 1 and a half to 2 hours. When you come back peal a section away at a time and most of the paint will come up with the glad wrap.

Hope it works out for you.

Kind regards Rob 👍

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Would you consider replacing the walls with new gyprock @Kree8? It might be quicker/cheaper than all the time trying to sand/strip back? 

Totally agree with @Kermit 

The smell of stripper can linger for quite a while.

Without seeing your job, the potential is there to just take off the cornice, window and door mouldings and just glue and skrew straight over the existing layer.

Then new cornice and door and window trims.

The great thing is all this work is very easily done and if you are not sure how to do something I know there would be plenty on the community to offer some advice.

All the best getting your project done and all the best with everything else you are doing.

Your a real trooper 👍👍

Kind regards Rob

Thanks for the input, everyone. I’m trying the stripper - so far, it’s not doing much more than stinking up the bedroom. The diggers brand said it can be left for 24hours, so I’ll check it first thing before work tomorrow. At $24 odd bucks for 2x2m, it won’t be my primary paint remover. I’d love to replace this cruddy old Masonite with proper gyprock. Problem is both money and ability. There’s no way I could a) get it home, and b) get it up on the frame - I’m just not strong enough (I helped the ex to transform the shed into a sewing room when we were married in 2011, and I really struggled then, even with help). I will be replacing both cornice and skirters eventually, and thinking of incorporating a few decorative strips to hide the gaps between Masonite so it looks like they’re meant to be there. I thought of using VJ, but the cost has put that out of mind.
whitedoves
Getting Established

Maybe give a good clean and fill, could consider wallpaper?
Vix633
Growing in Experience

How about testing a good primer/stain blocker on a smoothed out part of a wall? The Zinsers primer is miracle stuff with some (I would dare to say, most) situations and makes stuff stick like you wouldn't believe! I always have it in my toolbox.
I also love doing render on interior walls, and if it's rough already, it would stick like a dream. It's not as easy as painting and quite messy, but wow! I've wet-look sealed some bare render to retain that concrete look, and on other rooms I've brushed on some 'blackwash' to get it a lush black. They look awesome!
If render is a bit daunting, there are textured paints to work with what you've got - you can even get paintable sandstone!
Aside from that, I would second the wallpaper idea if that appeals to you.
Cheers, V
Kree8
Getting Established

Thanks for the suggestion. I’m filling holes and gaps as I come across them and will give it a good clean with sugar soap once all the paint is off. I personally don’t like wallpaper, but I appreciate the suggestion.

Kree8
Getting Established

I’m sure the rendered walls look really cool! I would consider it if I didn’t have a dust allergy, so smooth paint is what I need! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects