Workshop
Ask a question

Removing stains from concrete

Prof
Becoming a Leader

Removing stains from concrete

Driveway.png

What's the best thing to use to remove those green water/mould stains from concrete?

Johnnynl
Cultivating a Following

Re: Removing Stains From Concrete

If memory serves me well, CLR or CLR OIL & STAIN remover will do the job well, just spray a tiny corner of the stain if you like to test it. But for my workshop it removed old oil stains etc excellantly. Both Available from bunnings.

personally, Im not a fan of high pressure water blasting concrete floors as it tends to damage the fine top surface over time. 

Cheers
Johnny
Prof
Becoming a Leader

Thanks for your input Johnny..

The concrete in this case is a carport floor..It's already pretty rough and cracked!
It won't cost me anything if the gardener can get it off with a pressure cleaner, so worth a try at least..

If it doesn't work I'll have a couple of alternatives to try..

Prof
Becoming a Leader

Well the gardener finally turned up with a high pressure water unit..
The green staining came right off back to clean concrete again..
Anyone with the same problem, that's how you can get it off..
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Fantastic. Many thanks for the update @Prof. Glad to see you got a great result.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
icemanx
Growing in Experience

Re: Removing stains from concrete

well here is one way that you will all say no way but trust me my father was a Grano layer and he knew his stuff

he passed away in 2011 but that's where all this advice stopped

many many years ago when I was 17 (around 1980) I asked him how can we get the car oil stains out of the driveway (he put in) as my car leaked oil a few times....   well he said don't worry go buy a 2litre of coke cola and take sip, so you know its the real stuff and give it to me and i'll do my magic he told me

so he did, he pored it over the patch of oil waited 20mins,  scrubbed it with a hard brush, not metal type one and hosed it off and all was cleaned......

if I had photos I would have shown you but back then it wasn't on my mine and to this day I have used the same method all the time

so you can say what you like but it works for me and its the cheapest option as coke is wasted when some don't drink it all and that's why I never saw oil on our drive ways oh and we NEVER left a bottle laying around or dad would steal it for cleaning....

have a nice day all

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining the discussion @icemanx and sharing your experiences. Looking forward to seeing more of your posts soon. Feel free to post whenever you have something to share or need a hand with a project of your own. 

Welcome,

Jason

Prof
Becoming a Leader

Ah.The wonders of Coke..The miracle liquid..The be all and end all of liquid cleaners!!! 😌
I used to clean penny's with it when I was a boy! 😀..but I never heard it could clean oil off concrete!!.I wish I had known that many years ago when I was messing around with cars..
Thanks for the tip icemanx..

icemanx
Growing in Experience

well not my tip it was my Fathers and he was the Grano worker/creator that knew how to work with concrete

so yes he knew his stuff....

Easiest option. Degreaser just scrub it with a hard broom and hose off. 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @SmokeHound. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for jumping into the conversation.

That's a very helpful tip, I'll have to try the degreaser on my own driveway.

We look forward to hearing about the projects you have going on around your house and garden and would encourage you to let us know if you ever need assistance or have something to share with the community. I trust you'll find loads of inspiration on the site as our creative members are contributing their own projects here all the time.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects