Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Remove load bearing wall without permit

diybob
Getting Established

Remove load bearing wall without permit

Hi There.

Has anyone removed a load bearing wall without a permit?

It seems quite the process to get the permit ... Engineer, surveyor, permit. Effectively $4.5k before you even start, and possibly more than the works itself.

When I ask, I mean using a licensed builder with lots of experience removing walls.

I was speaking to a builder today, helpful guy. Said he can recommend some engineers and surveyors he works with. But also said most people with projects this small don't bother with permits (it is definitely load bearing). He said they have a book that tells them which beams to put in based on sizes, etc.

What are the repercussions?

Thanks

Diybob

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Remove load bearing wall without permit

I don't think it's appropriate to advise to not get engineer certification to remove a load bearing wall @diybob 

But in my experience with engineers, I don't believe it should be costing $4,500 either. Plenty of builders have books and manuals on everything (ie. Google it) - doesn't mean they're reading the right pages, if you know what I mean...

If you're based in Perth I can connect you with my engineer.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Hi ProjectPete.

I'm in Vic. I have consulted with an engineer. Their fees aren't too bad (around $300 inspection + $500-$900 drawing) + GST.

But then you need to get a council permit which is another $700 or so. And then you need a building surveyor to assess the work as it happens, which I hear is around another $1k to $1.5k So by the time you add it all up, that's around $4k - $4.5k. Then add on that the wall removal and beam which is another $4k - $5k.

So the Engineer to permit process effectively double the cost.

I know someone who did it this way and hasn't had an issue. 

I guess I want to understand what the implications are. While still using a licensed builder who has a lot of experience with this?

Regards

Diybob 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@diybob,

Welcome to Workshop and thanks for joining in the discussion. 

I'm sure all Workshop members would encourage you to engage a professional in this instance as the cost of not complying could be very high in the long run.

All the best,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
diybob
Getting Established

Thanks Jason.
Yeah, I've read stories online. Mostly around sale of the house and buyer negotiating price down, or buyer alerting the council.

The problem with not going through the proper channels is that it WILL bite you in the butt at some stage. If you try to sell the property later on it can come back to haunt you.

If you go to do other major changes and need a permit they could see the removal of the load-bearing wall and see that it wasn't done with a permit and there could be major fines etc depending on your council.

The other thing that will really bite you is if something goes wrong. There often would be no comeback against the builder and no-one will be on your side. With a proper permit if something goes wrong then you can easily go after the builder.

In all honesty (and I'm not a tradie here so am not being biased) you would be foolish to do this job without the proper permits. It sucks having to pay such high costs but the costs will show up further down the line somewhere. It pays to play it safe.

I don't believe the work (during and once complete) will be insured either without a permit. Really caution against cutting corners on this one.
----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

I agree with @ProjectPete - people might “get away” without a permit, but your building/contents insurer is unlikely to cover you if you’ve modified your house without the correct permits and engineering reports, and something goes wrong, cheers

june8875
Getting Established

You can try  hipage, or oneflare

diybob
Getting Established

Thanks all.

I've decided to go the permit way. Like you all say, it's not worth the risk!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects