Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Reducing your power bill

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Reducing your power bill

It's nearly winter and the temperature is starting to drop, particularly at night. Unfortunately, when the temperature drops, our power bills tend to rise dramatically.

In the discussion below, please share your tips for saving energy and keeping your power bill as low as possible. 

What are some of the ways that you save energy in your home?

Jason

Australian_banknotes_in_wallet.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Re: Reducing your power bill

Well said Henno, & especially about annually discussing options with you energy provider.

I actually have a major gripe about off-peak tariff rates.

Some history:

Consumers who had electrically supplied storage water heaters, were given a "J Tarriff" (possibly called a different name in other states) meter, to record the consumption, & that consumption was charged at an "Off Peak" (discount) rate. The reason was, that if the load dropped under the stable load output of the on line generators, they had to shut down a generator & it's super-heated steam boiler. Though a reasonably lengthy process, it's a far longer, more complicated (delicate), & far more expensive process again, to bring back the boiler & generator back to service.

Bringing the huge mass of the steam turbine with it's extremely close tolerances, is a nightmare. The stator is very solid/thick (high mass), so that it will withstand the extraordinary high pressure of the steam being sent to it, while the rotor (the moving turbine blades) are far lighter, so expand quicker. Expansion rates have to equalised, so that the turbine blades don't collide with the stator. The lighter rotors still weight tonnes & spin at 3000RPM. As I hope you can now imagine, it's a very dangerous, expensive process, & it takes a toll on the machine's lifespan due to metal fatigue.

Thing is, the cheaper tariffs were introduced to guarantee a steady load overnight, & it was a great initiative.

I congratulate other states (I'm based in South Australia) that recognise that other equipment be hooked up to the cheaper supply meter, because now the steam turbine generators are way bigger than in the early days, & are even more difficult/expensive to double shift (shutdown & restore later).

Case in point, EVERYONE, should get discounted tariff rates overnight.

Things have change now, in that gas turbine generators (virtually jet engines with a generator tacked on), are all that are being installed now. They're cheap to install, & can be shutdown & restored at whim, which makes life easy for energy suppliers.

Gas turbine generation has been used, though sparingly for decades, to quickly cover extreme peak load conditions, once all of the cheaper to run steam generators were at capacity & unable to cope unassisted. They were used as a last resort, because they consumed extraordinary amounts of natural gas, which was very expensive compared to coal fired power stations. It was a financially driven decision, & at the time, with no thought of conserving natural resources.

So why, oh why, are we all accepting/financing such irresponsible exploitation/corruption by private companies & their investors, who more than likely aren't based in Australia, or give a damn about you & me.

Sorry for the rant, but it's something that dramatically affected my health close to 20 years ago, because it's been lie, after lie, after lie.

I installed motion detectors in our hallways as the kids used to leave all the lights on. We too have solar and we place the dishwasher and washing machine on the inbuilt 'delay start' so they come on during the daylight hours (this is good as all the washing is done by the time we get home). Also a good way to reduce cool/heat loss is to close as many curtains as you can. Close up air-conditioning ceiling grills with painted mdf/chipboard to reduce heat loss in winter.
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Thanks for bringing up motion detectors darylhewston.

On that subject, people need to be aware that they may operate erratically if the light connected to it, isn't a high enough wattage.

We had that situation, & had to replace the LED globe, with a higher wattage globe in our passageway.

Something I do is close all the evaportive cooling vents in each room to keep the cold breeze out and I also tarp up the evap unit on my roof , won't be using it for 6 months it also keeps the dust/dirt out of it making it easier to clean come summertime
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Well done Shannon, what you're doing is spot on, & for all the reasons that you mentioned. Big thumbs up from me, because I shake my head when I drive around, & I see that a lot of households have exposed evaporators in winter. I also wonder if they clean them before using them in summer, which if they don't, could be a health risk.
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Looking way back, I recall a winter cost saving, that was actually a lot of fun.

Rather than sit in the lounge to watch TV side by side with the heater on, we decided to move our TV into the bedroom.

Why heat the lounge, when we could be cosy watching TV in bed? We made the concession of bringing the remote with us, so that we wouldn't limit our options on entertainment, & amazingly, we discovered that the remote batteries lasted a lot longer than before, & ad breaks were fun. ; )

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Just read that approx 40 percent of household energy is used for heating and cooling. Passive design can be a smart way to decrease this. There are lots of great ideas in this article - http://modscape.com.au/blog/creating-sustainable-home-passive-design

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Isobel

Love your modscape link, I'm passionate about the concept of passive design, & how it can dramatically slash energy consumption.

I'd love it if new subdivisions were orientated for optimal solar gain, & that there be government incentives to build, implementing passive design & super insulation.

Unfortunately, most builders give little or no thought to passive design.

davehutchy
Cultivating a Following

A timer and thermostat on the heater help a lot in keeping the bills down.
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Just found this interesting Home Insulation site:
http://howtohomeinsulation.com/

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects