Workshop
Start a discussion

The Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Recycled pallet succulent display

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Recycled pallet succulent display

working2.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Recycled pallet succulent display

Cut end boards off a Free Bunnings Pallet, available in timber yardsCut end boards off a Free Bunnings Pallet, available in timber yards2.jpg

If you don't have a holesaw Bunnings has a budget kit.If you don't have a holesaw Bunnings has a budget kit.

Drill several holes, the size to suit your pots.Drill several holes, the size to suit your pots.

Use a tool with texture, I made this distressing tool with some old nuts and copper fittings.Use a tool with texture, I made this distressing tool with some old nuts and copper fittings.

Damage the pallet, pay attention to the edges, rustic pieces normally get more damage there.Damage the pallet, pay attention to the edges, rustic pieces normally get more damage there.

We need to stain the marks we have laid, as dirt normally builds up in crevices. I've used a variety of what I had on hand, spray paint and Feast Watson Oak stain.We need to stain the marks we have laid, as dirt normally builds up in crevices. I've used a variety of what I had on hand, spray paint and Feast Watson Oak stain.

Remove all surface stain and paint by sanding, leaving the darkened timber in certain places like cracks etc.Remove all surface stain and paint by sanding, leaving the darkened timber in certain places like cracks etc.

Finally add a coat of Rustoleum chalk paint. I found the best application was with a rag in small amounts. However you can paint it on and sand it back depending on the effect you are going for.Finally add a coat of Rustoleum chalk paint. I found the best application was with a rag in small amounts. However you can paint it on and sand it back depending on the effect you are going for.

Feast Watson Oak Stain

British Paints Spray Easy

Rust-Oleum 887ml Country Grey Chalked Ultra Matt Paint

Rust-Oleum 887ml Matt Clear Chalked Protective Topcoat

How to Apply Chalked Paint

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Highlighted

How did you get the cans/pots to stay

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Davros,

Let me tag @MitchellM for you so he is alerted to your question about how to get the cans to stay put.

A very warm welcome to the Workshop community. We're pleased you could join us and look forward to you sharing your own projects and plans. Feel free to post whenever you need a hand or have something to share. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@Davros They are in place with friction. But you could use some clear construction adgesive or hot glue to fix them.

Why join the Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects