Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Recommendations wanted for new drill purchase

Dearie
Getting Established

Recommendations wanted for new drill purchase

hi guys, I need to buy myself a cordless drill for small diy jobs like putting up hooks In the garage and curtain rods in the bedroom. What’s a good drill for a woman to buy please? Thanks!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: new drill purchase

Hi @Dearie. I would be pleased to get the discussion started.

I'll also be particularly interested to see what our fantastic community members use themselves and also what they would recommend.

There are a couple of features to be aware of with cordless drills when making a decision on which to get. Predominantly we need to know if you will be drilling in masonry with it, as that requires a hammer function, not all cordless drills have that. Another factor is, do you have any cordless tools already if so what brand? Some brands have interchangeable batteries between their tools like Ryobi. It would be advantageous to stick with the same brand to keep costs of additional batteries down.

A good home use cordless drill that would suit most handypeople would be the Ryobi One 18v Brushless Drill Driver. It is a brushless unit which means more runtime and power over a brushed motor unit, keyless chuck and a convenient work light. If you wished to use the drill to put hooks in brick or concrete walls I would suggest the Ryobi One 18v Brushless Hammer Drill Driver.

These drills are just the body, requiring you to purchase the battery and charger separately: Ryobi 18v One 4.0ah Battery And Fast Charger Pack.

Through personal experience with them, I have been very happy and have completed the jobs you've mentioned many times over without them missing a beat.

If you would like further information about these products or had other questions, please let me know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dearie
Getting Established

Thank you MitchellMc. Very helpful. Prob only plaster drilling. I don’t have any other tools so happy to start with a Ryobi and add to my collection and swap butteries between tools. 

Ryobi is perfect for DIY @Dearie and has a huge range so you can confidently build your collection as you go without having to worry about switching brands, etc.

It's worth getting a drill with hammer function as that way, it can be used for anything, especially as you become more adventurous with your DIY.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

To answer @MitchellMc question I have gone down the Bosch Blue path with some Ryobi fill ins (glue gun, inflator and caulking gun) and I have Lboxes and Dewalt Tstak boxes and cart.

Given that there have been changes since I started the collection and I now am onsite more than just being home based. I would probably pick Dewalt based on the Tstak boxes and cart that has a dust extractor that is part of the Tstak system. My opinion is that every system has it's weak points, Bosch here have a lack of garden tools, nailer and the transport option does suck. Dewalt seem to have most things covered, I don't like their table saw and some of the tools look a little cheap and nasty, the SDS drills mostly have that look about them. I will possibly pick up a set one day for my travels...

Dearie
Getting Established

Re: Recommendations wanted for new drill purchase

I ended up buying the Ozito drill driver kit and I love it. Used it heaps. Never an issue yet! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's great to hear, @Dearie!

I trust our members would love to hear about some projects that you've used it on.

Mitchell

Dearie
Getting Established

I’ve just done some basic stuff - hung my bike in the garage, a fitness whiteboard in the kitchen and some curtain rods. Nothing too elaborate but I’m so happy that I’ve mastered it and that I actually have a working drill. I received great advice from a Bunnings guy in the tools section at the Bayswater store. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'm delighted to hear about all these projects you're now completing @Dearie. I still fondly remember when I got my first drill. It's so exciting to realise all the possibilities it opens up around the home and garden.

Please let us know if you ever need assistance or have a project to share with the community.

Mitchell

Leo74
Getting Established

Hiya, it’s got to be lightweight right?  I bought the XU1 (think it’s called electric screwdriver) for @$25 years ago now and it still charges and runs like new.  If abs when you get to stage you’re doing much bigger Reno jobs you may in future need a more heavy duty drill but for what you’ve described and various household drilling screws etc this drill is cheap and super easy to use.  I changed entire house from venetian blinds to curtains and now to wooden blinds (which I adore!)  and many many more jobs since.  Good luck!  

0DED70A2-A74C-475F-A3B2-42CE2EB77C2C.jpeg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects