Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Projects during the "shutdown"

Walter

Projects during the "shutdown"

Hey everyone,  I have  the luxury of working from home, but that also means I like to get out and about so I don't get "cabin fever"😂

However, this current situation means I have to find things to do locally, so there are a number of projects I have lined up.

1. First and foremost, I have convinced the manager of finance (eg, the wife) to free up some funds to build the new shed we have been talking about since last year.  I just contracted a local handyman to lay the cement block. 

Then I'm off to Bunnings to buy an Absco Shed. This one

Now two older gents will be assembling this, myself and a friend. Anyone have experience or suggestions that they are happy to share?

I'll be posting pictures as we start the project.

Yes it will be bolted to the cement, and sealed. The cement block will be above ground level also.

2. I have a few electronics projects I have half finished (yes, I'm like that sometimes), including a music synthesizer and sequencer I have mostly built, but got distracted. Plus a few electronic toys for grand nephews and nieces

3: Design and 3D print the new night light for my new grandson. He wont need it for a while, but I can get started (might be buying a new 3D printer and giving this one to my son).

Here's one I did for my granddaughter a few years ago

IMG_20180115_132518.jpg

4: "Spring" cleaniing.  I hadn't realised I had so many BBQ tools, which for some reason I have collected over the years. How many Tongs & Spatulas do you really need?  I also hadn't realised just how many old bits of electronics I have lying around in the current shed, and indeed in a cupboard in the house.  I don't know why I have 3 old short wave radios and a broken toaster. I'm sure I had a reason. I found a box full of old VGA computer cables, and some audio cables. I may have been keeping them because cables are always good, because you can take the wires and doe something useful, but I seem to have been a bit of a "parts magpie"🤣

5: Getting more serious about the veggie garden. With tomatoes currently at $9.00 a kilo, it has made me look at that.

What plans do others have if you are stuck at home?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Projects during the "shutdown"

Great looking shed @Walter. Looking forward to seeing it completed. @Baggs@Snez and the ever-helpful @Brad might have some tips for you to ensure the build goes smoothly. Anything in particular that you need to know?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

"Then I'm off to Bunnings to buy an Absco Shed"

To store all your toilet paper?!  😁

A local newsagent sometimes has supply of those enormously large rolls that you see in public toilets - however I don't have the dispenser.

Turns out a can (empty of course 😁) of Edgell's Mixed Vegetables fits the inner diameter of the roll perfectly. Small stainless steel coach bolt attaches the can to the wall and a quick spray of silicone to the cardboard gives it that nice "rolling" quality.

Rolling with VegetablesRolling with Vegetables

@Jason  et al,

I need some guidance on the bolting to the slab, and the sealing. I was thinking of beading silicone sealant around the insides?

How do I make sure its correctly vertical?  I've looked at the videos, and I assume the Snaptite makes it easier.  I know the slab will be perfectly flat, and the slab will be larger than the dimensions of the shed, by a considerable amount.

I'm not that handy with building, although I'm getting better under guidance.

@Noyade   LOL, I can see my wife taking up some room for her stuff, so I have to get in first with shelves.

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Most sheds have a hold down kit so you can dynabolt it down.

I have not seen silicone around a shed yet ( give it time though )

While most of the kit sheds don't have room to adjust without making alterations, a spirit level and carpenters square or for people like me who were metal trades plate square are handy things to have.

No matter how many people you have helping at some point you will wish you had an extra hand.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing @Brad. Great to have you sharing your experience on the site so regularly. Much appreciated.

Jason

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

I should add on this discussion that we have created a gallery of project ideas to do during this isolation period. I'm sure you'll find the work of our community members as inspiring as I do!

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects