Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Pre-handover building inspection

Kellie
Making a Splash

Pre-handover building inspection

NotebookPC.jpg

Hi everyone.

I bought my first apartment off the plan and it will settle in a few weeks. I've been told that the pre-handover building inspection will be very soon. 

I've heard a couple of horror stories from people who had a lot of faults in their apartments that were hard to rectify so I want to make sure I get it thoroughly inspected. 

Just wondering if some of the experts here could give me suggestions on what I should be looking for during the inspection? I think I'll be okay picking out faults in the finishing like paintwork and grout etc but obviously want to also make sure I notice anything more potentially serious like plumbing issues or anything that might crack or break over time. Thanks.

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

Re: Pre-handover building inspection

@Kellie
Here's another recent Apartment Horror Story

That I featured on My google community a few days ago

Perth Apart Collapse.jpg

I would also recommend that you get full Documentation

Drawings,Specifications,Engineering Details, Compliance Certificates,etc,etc

Before you sign off/take possession

Final Builders variations  should also have been submitted to the Council Building/Surveying Department and certified current.

Rule of Thumb " Compliance to the codes and standards can be certified by a Building Surveyor, If it is found to be non-compliant then it will have to be certified by an engineer as equivalent or better than what's required in Codes or Standards

Please check everything thoroughly 

Thank you. Are you saying I should get a building surveyor to check the work? 

I hadn't thought of getting documentation beyond the compliance certificates.

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

@Kellie The building should be completely checked by your building surveyor for compliance with Codes, Standards, specifications & Drawing. If its found to be non-compliant then depending on the issues it will have to be certified by an engineer.Here in WA Engineers check their own work, if there are changes the plans will be marked up and submitted back to the builder & then council building authority.Avoid documents going missing insist on copies
Here you can get copies of documents from the council..some council charge Several hundred dollars to retrieve them later from archives and if there's a dispute you may not be able to retrieve..
I noticed your building is precast concrete make sure you get the flashing, Stormwater & Plumbing details ..HTH

Don't the developers do all that for you? Buying off the plan you usually have a contract with the developer so you don't have to deal with the builder if there's any problems, they do. 

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

@_Marley_You will get marketing colour renderings of the elevation of what it may look like and floor plans & 2 pages of specifications and then the salesman/investment adviser will sell you the BBQ sizzle on the balcony
then you will be asked to sign a contract to buy.. read the contracts
LOL...come in spinner BBQ for dinner

OT Another real-estate residential/sizzling-hot-deals-brisbane-apartments-offered-at-39pc-discount-in-fire-sale

TheFoxSays
Cultivating a Following

Some great tips here, @BIM_Engineer do you suggest the same for just a housebuild as well? I am assuming so from just reading through these comments here. 

My own house is due for insepection in a couple of weeks and this has been helpful in what we should be looking for before they hand it over to us. 

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

@TheFoxSaysThanks, Yes...you will need to be thorough for new houses as well, generally there is a 3 month maintenance period & 6 year structural warranty. If you require further assistance leave a PM or email, access is granted on google docs..goodluck

@_Marley & @TheFoxSays
Here is a sobering ABC Report trending on building defects

Leaking Buildings,Mould & Court Battles....

Avoid Salesman selling , BBQs on the balconies, Sizzle & Smoke

as your balcony may become structurally defective

I also discuss balcony waterproofing here

Repairing Balcony spalling suspended slabs

and 

Who says you can't have a garden in a city apartment

TheFoxSays
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @BIM_Engineer, I'll take a look at those articles.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects