Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Plans are done - getting ready to build :)

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Plans are done - getting ready to build :)

It's taken longer than expected to get our final plans sorted but we're finally there. Starting with a custom design then making it work from an existing plan from the builder meant we got what we wanted but it was very time consuming ensuring we thought of everything. I learned a lot from my previous build and ensured I took the time I needed to it right.

• Don't let builders pressure you into speeding things up. Remember you're the one handing over a huge amount of cash - so you're in control.
  • Get everything you discuss in writing. Yes phone convos can be quicker but you're bound to run into a case of "No, I didn't say that" somewhere along the line and you'll be the one that suffers.
  • Double and triple check that all your requests are completed correctly.
  • Don't be shy about challenging variation quotes and goign for a better deal. Builders tend to drop about 30% on top of everything and just hope no one asks - but when you do you'll often find you'll get the price down.

ground.pngfirst.png

From a prestart perspective the best thing you can do to be prepared is...have lots of money you're willing to spend :cheeky:

• Think about what you can do yourself or pay a labourer to do after key handover because the builder prices are crazy.
  • Builders need to meet minimum requirements such a tiling wet areas, etc so you can't rip everything out but there is a lot of money to be saved and it also means you can install exactly what you want rather than being limited to their range/suppliers.
  • Naturally, you'll change your mind and if you do it after a certain point in the process your builder will want to charge you a few hundred dollars in variation fees or whatever. Don't pay this! Either they waive the cost and you spend more money in variations, or they charge you and you simply don't spend more money with them.
  • Case in point - get everything in writing: We advised we wanted hobless showers early in the process and we were told to wait to make this change in prestaart. However when we got to prestart we were told it needed to have been done earlier and to do it now will cost $300 and require engineering review/approval. Needless to say, we refused to pay that $300 because we were told to wait. Again, don't let builders bully you into paying fees.

So between varuations, upgrades and removing things we could we ended up spending an extra $35k in prestart which was actually less than expected/budgeted so we are very happy with the result.

Our slab should be down very soon and we're still likely to get our keys before Xmas so it's all very exciting. I'll keep you posted on the progress and for those interested in more pics and updates you can follow us on Instagram @building.up.254 :smile:

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Plans are done - getting ready to build :)

How exciting for you @ProjectPete. The plans look fantastic.Is your workshop going to be in the garage or out the back? :bigsmile:

Many thanks for the update and for sharing your experiences and lessons so far. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Cheers @Jason - workshop will be a combo of in the garage in the 'store' area then the side of the house behind the garage will be concreted and ready to use as a 'pop-up' workshop.

----------
Handy and helpful
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @ProjectPete,

Is your slab down yet? It would be great to get an update on the build when you have a moment. 

We're pleased that our renovation work on Workshop is complete. :smile:

Jason

@Jason Slab will be down within the next 2 weeks. Had delays on building permit - believe it or not, nothign moved for about 3 weeks as the Supervisor was on leave...apparently he's the only one that can approve...archaic or what!?!

Will update Workshop once slab is down :smile:

----------
Handy and helpful

@ProjectPete - this looks amazing! Can't wait to see the final product. Also sitting here incredibly envious of the very large Audio Visual room you have planned. 

That must have been frustrating @ProjectPete. Hope things progress smoothly from here.

Looking forward to seeing your progress soon.

Jason

@Jason First bricks laid last week mate :smile:

----------
Handy and helpful

For those interested in the progress of my build (rather than spamming Workshop with minor updates) you can follow it on Instagram @building.up.254 and my DIY account @ProjectPete.diy which will become more active as I start getting stuck into more projects again soon. Cheers
----------
Handy and helpful

Feel free to spam us @ProjectPete. We love your updates! 

Maybe you could create one main thread with weekly updates, a bit like what @Darren did with his fantastic Diary of a bathroom renovation?

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects