Workshop
Ask a question

old Millard caravan

beckyboo
Growing in Experience

old Millard caravan

Hi, I'm very new to DIY. This will be my first ever project. Last week I bought an old Millard caravan for 500 dollars. I'm unsure of the year and model but was told probably from the 60's. The chassis number is M1672 if this helps someone identify it I'd be very grateful.

I have a few questions I'm hoping someone could help me with. I'll put some photos up when the sun comes up. Most of the thing's that needed to be stripped out have been removed before I bought it. There is one upper cupboard that needs removing. I tried to do this myself through I discovered the electrical saw and I don't quite see eye to eye. I am paying someone to come help me remove the cupboard and teach me how to use the saw safely. The reason I have to remove the cupboard is because we have discovered the wooden structure behind it needs replacing. I need to know if it's right that I use a soft wood for the timber structural framework because this is what I have been advised?

Also when I'm insulting how do I place it with the wiring? How much of a gap needs to be left? I've had the wiring checked and it is in good order but I didn't think to ask about the insulation.

The floor is structurally safe but needs a floor covering. I'm thinking about getting the black and white check vinyl floor tiles from Bunnings. Just wondering if this is good for caravan floors?

My decor style is going to be 1950's diner. I have a wishlist on Bunnings web site. It was 989 dollars but I've got it down to 812 dollars my problem is I'm only going to have about 700 dollars to spend after I get the five Windows fixed. All five need new glass I'm getting a quote tomorrow so I'll know exactly how much I have to spend.

One way I've cut back is on paint. I'm going to get the cheapest which is the Spring brand. My question is has anyone used this and is it okay quality? I know I can't expect the best when it's so inexpensive but I just need it to last until I can get a more expensive paint in a few months.

I'm trying to cut back on tools I'll need to save money. I don't know what else to cut back on but I have to chop 100 off somewhere.

Last question for now in the bedroom area the are two wardrobes with large hanging space in both of them. I want to put shelves in one for clothing as there are not many draws for clothing. What type of timber should I use? And how should I attach the shelves to the cupboard walls? I was thinking small brackets and short screws.

Thanks for any help and I'll put some photos up soon.

Peggynme
beckyboo
Growing in Experience

Peggy update

hi, I've had a busy week but don't seem to have gotten a lot done. My youngest son and I pulled out the dining area first. I was only planning on pulling out one of the Bench seats to put the two new retro blue chairs I got given for free. They match my style I'm going for but when I got them in there I had two problems. First they are too big to fit where I want them and second the shade of blue doesn't match my blue and pink colours. So to fix the colour problem I'm going to recover the chairs in what ever fabric I choose for the curtains. As for the chairs not fitting. We pulled out the other bench seat. While we're doing this my five year old nephew came in to see what we're doing and his foot went through a small section of the floor. Thankfully he wasn't hurt. I then went around the whole caravan checking the floor and found one other small section of floor that needs replacing.

I decided I didn't like the kitchen it had hardly any bench space and I didn't like the way the cupboards were and also the previous owner had thrown the draws away. Any way we soon got the kitchen pulled out. Now we just have to redo the new one. My son has built the first flat pack storage unit that is about waist high there is one more of that size one to put together then one that is wider but not as tall as it will sit on the wheel cover. I'm going to use liquid nails to stick it them to the wall then screw them to the wall as well. Before this is done we are sanding them to rough up the surface then paint them blue. I was going to buy a wooden bench top for 89 dollars then cut it to size but when shopping for everything I needed I found a bamboo one on clearance for 50 dollars that was the same size. The guy said I can still cut it to the size I need. 

I've been given two bits of advice that I haven't used until today and tonight. First was not to start work in an untidy area and second to plan the day making a list of what you want to achieve. Yesterday I got sick of not being able to find thing's and just the mess in general. Today we cleaned the area and even swept so it was clean. It was less stressful then the day before. I know we should clean at the end of the day but we work until it's too dark to see then its too late to clean. I want to buy a spotlight but don't know if I should get one for inside or one on a stand to shine in the window.

The second thing I'm changing is the planning. I'm sick of being in the van for at least 3 or four hours most day's and not getting anywhere so tonight I wrote a list of jobs for myself and my two boy's for what I would like us to achieve tomorrow. I'm hoping that makes a difference.

I had to change my pink colour because the lady couldn't mix it with the brand of paint I brought. Both blues were fine. The pink isn't much different it just has a slight purple tinge to it. 

Well that's enough from me for now. I might put more photos up tomorrow if I remember. Bye.

Peggynme
beckyboo
Growing in Experience

Re: Peggy update

Also one thing I forgot. Does anyone know of any electricians in the Orange NSW area that work on caravans. I've called that many and none that I've rang work with caravans. I only want the power checked to see if it works and the previous owner cut the outside light off. So it needs to be capped or whatever. I also want two single power points turned into doubles. And two new one put in. Thanks
Peggynme
royq
Having an Impact

Have you tried any auto electricians @beckyboo? It's a different trade to normal electrical and requires different licenses. I'm supposing a caravan would fall under auto electrical but not 100% certain, it's worth a try. Your progress on the van sounds good too.

Cheers, Roy

Graclo
Finding My Feet

Auto electricians only work on the 12 volt system ie wiring of brake, blinker, tail and clearance or marker lights as well as the 12 volt interior wiring.
You need a regular electrician and it would appear to me that they are reluctant to consider your job, perhaps because ti under renovation and they don't want the responsibility for work that someone may alter or compromise. I suggest you may speak to the local caravan dealer whom may have someone.
The 240 volt power points and switches for caravans are different to household ones, even though they appear the same. They must be double pole switching - meaning that the switch cuts both active and neutral wires. Double pole fittings should be available from most electrical supply outlets.
cheers, Graeme
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Many thanks for joining in the discussion and sharing your knowledge Graeme (@Graclo). I'm sure @beckyboo and other Workshop community members appreciate it. 

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the community. We're pleased to have you join us and look forward to reading more of your posts. I'm sure you will get plenty of inspiration and helpful information from other members, and we hope to see more of your wisdom and your own projects. Feel free to post whenever you need a hand or have something to share. And please let me know if you ever have any feedback about how we can improve Workshop for you.

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: old Millard caravan

@beckyboo @deborah
Good morning Ladies,
I was just wondering how you're both going with your caravan renovations? I hope they're going well, and you might post some photos?? I've just bought myself an onsite van which I'll be renovating, although it's really only cosmetic stuff needs doing. I'd be really interested in seeing more of your journey.
Cheers, Liz.
Shelby
Cultivating a Following

Re: old Millard caravan

Also hoping for an update @beckyboo I'm utterly obsessed with the idea of renovating a caravan!!!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects