Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Patching holes in the wall

PartyDad
Growing in Experience

Patching holes in the wall

We hosted a 18th birthday party on the weekend and there was some over-enthusiastic dancing. I now have to repair four holes in the wall. I've never done it before - the extent of my previous repair jobs is using polyfilla to fill a crack. 

Anyone got any tips for attacking these? Would they all require the same approach? 

2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg1.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Patching holes in the wall

Oh dear @PartyDad, it looks like the guests had a good time of it. 

I would recommend you start here - How to fix a hole in a plaster wall. It includes the tools and materials that you will need. I will also embed the video below. 

I'm sure Workshop members will also be happy to assist. Let me extend a very warm welcome to the community. I trust you'll get plenty of helpful advice and inspiration for your projects from our members.

Good luck with the repairs.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
PartyDad
Growing in Experience

Will give it a go. Can't make things worse! I guess I can always call in a professional if I stuff it up.
PartyDad
Growing in Experience

Patched the three holes successfully following the advice on the video. They look almost perfect. 

Had as a bit more trouble with the crack. Made a bit of a mess by putting too much filler on the first go yesterday, then sanding it back today its still a bit uneven and messy. Think I will need to sand it all off and start again next weekend.

PartyDad
Growing in Experience

Had another go this morning and it’s come up well. Didn’t need to use any more filler, just needed a good sand now that it was all nice and dry. It’s lovely and smooth now and ready for painting.

FB34BC4D-07E7-43B5-8106-95A404724AAE.jpeg

PartyDad
Growing in Experience

Painted this morning and all looks good as new. There's just one wall that I reckon could do with another coat. It was an easy DIY job after all. Thanks again for the tips.

MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Good job @PartyDad. I've got a couple of cracks at my place that I should probably get to. What filler did you use?

PartyDad
Growing in Experience

Curious, ... the video clip with the Bunnings lesson on filling cracks in the wall, he had a tub of Gyprock.

Is there a difference between the Selleys No More Cracks Plaster Filler vs the Gyprock Joint Compound. Is one preferred over the other? Or are they the same stuff, just different brands?
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Kokonut,

Welcome to Workshop. We trust you will receive lots of helpful information and inspiration for your projects from our community members. It's great to have you join us and we encourage you to post anytime you need a hand or have a new project to share. 

Please let me know if you ever need help getting the most from the site, or have any feedback about how we can make Workshop even more useful to you.

I'll now hand over to our community to answer your question - I imagine that everyone has different brands that they recommend! Or you can always head to your local Bunnings Warehouse and get a recommendation from a team member. Have you got a hole or a crack that needs repair?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects