Workshop
Start a discussion

The Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

PLEASE anyone have any idea's on how to repair my front door?

Old-gal24
Established Contributor

PLEASE anyone have any idea's on how to repair my front door?

The top layer of timber is splitting of my front door which is very weathered at the bottom of the door.  I have asked a few places here and I get much the same result.  Oh just buy a new front door. 

My reply is NOT IN MY BUDGET and what a waste of door.

I'm thinking I will have to strip the back the top layer of what I think is ply and try and replace it and plain it back till its level and seal and repaint.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated..

20190924_164245.jpg20190924_164249.jpg20190924_164259.jpg20190924_164302.jpg20190924_164310.jpg20190924_164315.jpg

ProjectPete
Trusted Contributor

Re: PLEASE anyone have any idea's on how to repair my front door?

Sorry to say what you don't want to hear @Old-gal24 but IMO your best option is to replace the door. That veneer will peel off, likely damaging the solid core which you'll then need to treat, buy ply, attach ply, sand and finish. By the time you've spent all that time and money doing that, you'll wish you had of just bought a new door - it'll turn out cheaper and less stress for you.

----------
Handy and helpful
Insta @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @homeprojectco
Old-gal24
Established Contributor

@ProjectPete  I think deep down I thought that would be the way I have to go. 

The more costly side of the door situation is a matching door to side smaller fixed door, not sure what they call it when you have one full sized door and what looks like a half sized door but it's fixed to one side.  But it's matches the full door.  So I would have to replace both as they match and I haven't seen the same patterned door any where in Bunnings or in door books.

Its a sad waste, if it was sealed and painted properly in the first place and kept maintained it wouldn't come to this.  *(sorry I hate waste)  Everywhere I've gone in this house so far the painting has been shocking.  Backs of robe doors not even painted.  Same as inside robes, no paint or shelving.  So I've been keeping busy doing what I can inside after renovating or I should say creating a garden where there wasn't one.  As well as having a shed built and trying to set that up. *( still a work in progress).

Thanks again for your suggestions.  

Cheers

royq
Established Contributor

Hi @Old-gal24,
It won't hurt to try to fix it :smile: Take the door off and see if you can work some wood glue in under the bits that are peeling up, obviously clean out any dust first. Then apply masking tape over and clamp a straight edge to it. Remove masking tape and sand once glue is set. Add some filler to the low spots and sand again. It seems like if you are going to throw it away anyway you might as well try to fix it, if it fails you haven't lost anything.
Cheers, Roy
Brad
Trusted Contributor

I have recently been fixing chairs and a door that someone made a half hearted attempt to jimmy open and split the ply.

Thin glue 

Also comes in a smaller bottle for a slightly lower price.

Why join the Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects