Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

PLEASE anyone have any idea's on how to repair my front door?

Old-gal24
Becoming a Leader

PLEASE anyone have any idea's on how to repair my front door?

The top layer of timber is splitting of my front door which is very weathered at the bottom of the door.  I have asked a few places here and I get much the same result.  Oh just buy a new front door. 

My reply is NOT IN MY BUDGET and what a waste of door.

I'm thinking I will have to strip the back the top layer of what I think is ply and try and replace it and plain it back till its level and seal and repaint.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated..

20190924_164245.jpg20190924_164249.jpg20190924_164259.jpg20190924_164302.jpg20190924_164310.jpg20190924_164315.jpg

Re: PLEASE anyone have any idea's on how to repair my front door?

Thank you for your reply @Jaymo  you certainly have had a great many years of experience and obviously dealt with this sort of thing before.  Sadly, everything sounded negative.  NO positives?  It would have and will be a great learning tool-project.

Meanwhile I did manage to purchase a second hand door.in GREAT condition, but I plan on sanding it back, sealing it WELL, then painting it with the correct paints needed to protect it from the elements..  

cheers

This old gal24

Re: PLEASE anyone have any idea's on how to repair my front door?

Sorry for my tardy reply.  Sick daughter and self, still trying to catch up.

Thank you for your advice.  Don't really like the look of checker-plate on my front door.  Even though I do have it on the front of my little 35 year old caravan, but doesn't look out of place there.

Have decided to do up a door I purchased second hand, that will match in with what I have already there as it's part of a matching set. *(glass inserts)

I had toyed with the idea of taking off the top layer to the best of my ability to the bottom of the decorative area and then putting new timber/ply what ever I could find that would do it the best job and go from there.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Old gal

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects