Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Owner-builder reno & extension project

Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Owner-builder reno & extension project

Well after months of delays due to everything from weather to design changes to me breaking my leg on-site… (yes, still in plaster…) we finally have our floor framing in!!!
This is the biggest stage of our owner-builder reno & extension project.
Most of this will be deck & undercover outdoor entertaining space but it will also include a purpose-built home-office (far end on the right) & new master bedroom (left above pool).

We used steel for the floor framing for ease of build – cost is slightly higher but you gain on speed of assembly and virtually zero wastage. It's also a lot stronger so avoids the traditional bearer & joist multi-layered arrangement although I did have them add sub-bearers in a couple of spots.

Can’t recommend SteelMax highly enough. You basically send them the plans & then you get everything on the back of a truck pre-cut, all you have to do is match the bits up & put them together like a giant Meccano project. They can do everything from decks to entire house floor frames.
I'll keep you updated as we progress!

IMG_0910 (1).jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Owner-builder reno & extension project

Wow, it looks incredible @Adam_W. Congratulations. Your family must be loving it.  

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

Very Nice, well done
Interestingly, I remember reno home magazines never featured uncompleted projects
These days readers want, problems, solutions, warts and all and it still may not be enough to motivate
90% of projects run overtime and short of funds
Cheers

Thank you for sharing-i’m looking to do an extension next year so appreciate the detail you have gone to with this post.

Looks sensational! Congrats.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects