Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Owner-builder reno & extension project

Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Well after months of delays due to everything from weather to design changes to me breaking my leg on-site… (yes, still in plaster…) we finally have our floor framing in!!!
This is the biggest stage of our owner-builder reno & extension project.
Most of this will be deck & undercover outdoor entertaining space but it will also include a purpose-built home-office (far end on the right) & new master bedroom (left above pool).

We used steel for the floor framing for ease of build – cost is slightly higher but you gain on speed of assembly and virtually zero wastage. It's also a lot stronger so avoids the traditional bearer & joist multi-layered arrangement although I did have them add sub-bearers in a couple of spots.

Can’t recommend SteelMax highly enough. You basically send them the plans & then you get everything on the back of a truck pre-cut, all you have to do is match the bits up & put them together like a giant Meccano project. They can do everything from decks to entire house floor frames.
I'll keep you updated as we progress!

IMG_0910 (1).jpg

Re: We have lift-off!

All go today!
We had a crane on-site to lift beams into place. Naturally I couldn't resist putting my GoPro on the lifting head :wink:
Here's a still from the video giving you an awesome birds-eye view of our project.

birds eye.jpg

And what are you doing with boards? :think:

Relax

Thanks for joining in the discussion @marthasimons. I'm sure @Adam_W will get back to you as soon as he can.

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. We're pleased you could join us and look forward to reading about your projects and plans. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hey @marthasimons,
The boards that are still white/grey will all be undercover. The project is mainly creating a big all-weather outdoor living space.
We used the HardieDeck system which is just awesome to install & has a really cool finished look. I used them on another project which you can see here.

Katbru
Growing in Experience

Re: Owner-builder reno & extension project

Wow, that looks amazing ! Thanks for sharing details of your project.  Inspiring!

Re: Owner-builder reno & extension project

Thanks @Katbru, my pleasure!

Hey everyone... well I've been very quite of late & you'll see why...
Made awesome progress on our reno. Slowed down a bit now, don't you hate budgets... but hope to get at least the deck useable by Christmas.

IMG_1605.jpg

Update time!
We are heading towards done with stage-1 now. Really happy with how it's looking.

IMG_2442 (L).jpg

Also... most of my shots shave been from inside out... here's a before & a work-in-progress from a couple of weeks ago. (I don't think I've posted these before.)

AHW26781.jpgAHW24095.jpg

Well, after crazy-long delays for the smallest of reasons we finally have our outdoor living space finished! We had it all styled-up for a photo shoot so looked awesome.

Sadly the rest of the renos have come to a grinding halt due to, shall we say, budgetary constraints, but we'll get there eventually!

IMG_3168 (1).jpgAHW24591_low.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects