Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Over spray when painting aluminium windows

Rhiannonnnn
Just Starting Out

Over spray when painting aluminium windows

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I recently bought our first home and we’ve painted the entire house white. I now want to paint the aluminium windows black and have watched videos on how to do so.

As we are spray painting black paint in a white room I am wondering how far over spray travels? How much of the room, walls and floor will I need to cover?

72C99362-3806-46E1-A4D0-1E50F1137AA2.jpeg

  

07D0D7AC-CD9B-4D7B-87A8-2343A866CB87.jpeg

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

Re: Over spray when painting aluminium windows

@Rhiannonnnn Welcome to the Workshop community.

Thanks for you question.

Will you be using a spray gun or aerosol cans?

I'm sure many of our members have experience with similar projects and would like to contribute to the discussion.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

wooshka
Making a Splash

Ideally you would paint after spraying the windows, it depends if you are using spray cans or a spray gun,it will travel a fair way as it bounces off what you are spraying especially in a closed room , i would hang drop sheets probably for at least 3 metres each side and removing everything from the room as well. lots of masking will be required.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Rhiannonnnn,

Welcome to Workshop. Great to have you join us at this exciting time. Congratulations on your new house - your photos above look fantastic.

Great to see you've already received some helpful advice. I take it you've also already seen the Bunnings D.I.Y. Advice on How to paint window frames and How to update window mullions

I would certainly encourage you to use some high quality painter's tape and take the time to cover an area as wide as possible with drop sheets so you don't have to repaint anything. Hopefully other community members might have further tips for you about ensuring a great result. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects