Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Our shortlist for must-haves in our new home

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Our shortlist for must-haves in our new home

As mentioned, we're building a new home and I've already written about our decision to build new rather than renovate so thought I'd share some of the specific things we'll include in planning our new home. You'll see none of these are reasonably achievable by renovating...

• Bigger yard
    • More room for the kids to play.
    • Larger entertaining area and more space to separate from the kid’s play area.
    • Larger pool - we’ve squeezed a 5.5 x 2.5 plunge pool into our current (small) yard.
  • Better natural light throughout the house
    • Natural light is beautiful and we want it throughout the house.
    • Create a more energy efficient home.
    • Our current home isn’t optimally positioned so we miss the natural light.
  • Bath in the ensuite
    • #Wifey loves a good bath so she wants her own freestanding in our ensuite rather than having to share with the kids.
  • Larger entry
    • Our current entry goes straight into a hallway and isn’t very welcoming.
      narrowentry.PNG

There’s a raft of other things, mostly up-specs and nice-to-haves but again, doing those things to the current house won’t give us an overall and complete satisfaction. There'll be too much compromise.

Would love to hear about some of the things you’d like to change about your home and how that ties into your reno/DIY plans :smile:

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Our shortlist for must-haves in our new home

We would also love a more energy efficient home @ProjectPete. A house that was warmer in winter and cooler in summer without having to use much heating and cooling. But most of our place was built in the 50s....

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Yes our new place will have a 6 star energy rating - means a lot to us from an enviro perspective and also saving on bills.

Does make it a bit tricker with an older place but there are still some great things you can do. Got anything on the cards for your joint @Jason?

----------
Handy and helpful

@ProjectPete - is the cinema for your new place? I don't think I've ever been more jealous! 

One thing I wish I had considered when my house was being built, was how to ensure that the home could easily convert into a smart home. 

I've done little things here and there since I've moved in but some crucial oversights on my part have left some features in my home stuck in the past. 

My dream of a smart home enabled air con / heating solution have become almost impossible without a complete overhaul of the same system. 

So my advice is to think about future proofing the technology in your home.

@ProjectPete

Solar panels are on the cards. We have a solar hot water system and solar heating for the pool but would obviously like to reduce the power bills. I thought this discussion a couple of months ago was really interesting and informative - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Outdoor-Living/Feedback-on-new-solar-system/m-p/13268

Jason

The pic above is from the plan for my current home @maknilsin (built in 2010) and its just used as the kid's toy/play room. They have a measly 42inch TV in there for movie nights so far from a cinema. 

In the new home we've included a cinema but more for resale value and of we decide to start to watch movies more in future - although its gonna come in very handy for sports and PS4 :wink:

Def future proofing the new place tech wise - will keep you posted.

----------
Handy and helpful

@ProjectPete

Are you doing your own sketches/designs for the new house? The new PlusSpec Lite version might be worth a look - https://plusspec.com/lite/

I haven't had a look yet but I'm sure @BIM_Engineer could explain the merits of using the full version.

Jason 

Plans are all done and dusted now @Jason, just waiting on final engineering approval.

----------
Handy and helpful
BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

@Jason
The lite version would be great for those that sketch, DIYers and Owner Builders
If you require something more robust, with the full Bells & Whistles then upgrade to the Pro. Here are some advantages:
-Sketchup is the most popular 3D design software in the world (over 30 million users)
Design in 2D & 3D
-Accurately Estimate quantities of materials (ie.m ,m2, m3)
-Visualize exactly how your project will be built the aussie compliant way
-Firstly, Upload your model here to the Bim_Engineer. (He, He, He)

-Share your Bim Model with others including tradesman & contractors
Really, The sky's the limit

For those interested in the progress of my build (rather than spamming Workshop with minor updates) you can follow it on Instagram @building.up.254 and my DIY account @ProjectPete.diy which will become more active as I start getting stuck into more projects again soon. Cheers
----------
Handy and helpful

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects