Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Making a wooden planter for succulents

Kim2
Building a Reputation

Making a wooden planter for succulents

Hi peeps, 

I'm completely new to woodworking and in dire need of help! I tried making a wooden planter with 45 degree cut corners and glued it together with Sellys aquadhere -the first one looks okay but the rest of the corners are terrible :tear:

This was made with scap wood I found on the side of the road. I would like to try again with some 12mm thick tasmanian oak I bought from bunnings and coat it with tung oil (apparently it cures the wood and makes it waterproof?)

help.JPG

I want to create something like the planter on the right...any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh and I bought a corner clamp from bunnings but it never clamped the corners properly ... either that or I didnt use it properly?

Please help :grin:

Kim

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Making a wooden planter for succulents

Love it!

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Re: Making a wooden planter for succulents

That looks great. I find that linseed oil yellows quite a bit on light timber, but we've still used it a lot on on outdoor planters. I prefer decking oil, but what ever you use, you'll need to sand and re-coat every now and then. I never use varnish on outdoor stuff as it always ends up flaking off. If you want to try out some higher end oil/waxes try Whittle Waxes Exterior Oil (online).

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects