Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

It's cold outside - what's your favourite slow cooker meal?

stupidfish
Building a Reputation

It's cold outside - what's your favourite slow cooker meal?

With it being so cold recently I've been giving my slow cooker a real workout. One of my favourites is corned beef. I use Stephanie Alexander's Corned Beef recipe and it works a treat. I put the corned beef in the slow cooker on low in the morning and when I get home from work it's all done. The meat is so tender it just falls apart - delicious!

Last week, I made the corned beef into wraps using a piece of corned brisket, spicy coleslaw, pickles, mayo and sriracha (pic below). They were awesome - even if I do say so myself.

Anyone got any other suggestions for slow cooker recipes I should give a go?

Sriracha coleslaw and corned beef wraps

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: It's cold outside - what's your favourite slow cooker meal?

This is one of my favourites at the moment and goes a long way.

Crock Pot Santa Fe Chicken

Ingredients:

• Half a kilo of chicken breast
  • 2 x 400g can diced tomatoes
  • One or two mild green or red chilies
  • 400g can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 200g frozen corn
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander
  • 2 cups of chicken stock
  • 3 chopped spring onions
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper or a dash or two of Tobasco sauce
  • salt to taste.

Directions:

Combine chicken stock, beans (drained), corn, tomatoes, coriander, spring onions, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, cayenne pepper and salt in a crock pot or slow cooker. Season chicken breast with salt and lay on top.

Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours. Half hour before serving, remove chicken and shred. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in. Adjust salt and seasoning to taste. Serve over rice and/or tortillas and with your favorite toppings. Guacamole recommended!

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
aly
Making a Splash

We absolutely love our slow cooker and would use it at least once a week. We tend to make large batches of bologanise sauce and casserole dishes which we freeze and use as easy, on-the-go meals. We often do silverside beef too and lamb shanks are just perfect in the slow cooker! One of my favourite meals is probably an indian curry of some sort. We've experimented with a few recipes and store bought spice packets and they've all been delicious - butter chicken, lamb korma and chicken tikka masala.

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

I like cooking casseroles but I never have a recipe, I just throw things in. Typical ingredients are some cheap cuts of beef, a couple of cans of crushed tomatoes and maybe also a jar of passata, some beef stock, red wine, a few bay leaves and a mix of dried Italian herbs. You can't really go wrong. It's lovely to come home to the smell of a home-cooked meal. Usually all that needs to be done is to throw some vegies on (or in) and maybe reduce the liquid a little, which I do in a frypan.

aly
Making a Splash

Sounds a lot like the casseroles we do Isobel - just throw a few good things in and see how it goes!
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Step 1: Buy some brioche rolls at Breadtop

Step 2: Grab one of these Pork Shoulder kits from Coles and chuck it in the slow cooker

Step 3: Make some coleslaw

Step 4: Impress your friends with pulled pork sliders - so delicious!

slow-cooker-pulled-pork-sliders.jpg

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Those sliders look great. I've also made pulled beef sliders and wraps. Just grab a cheap cut of meat like Gravy Beef and cover with smoked paprika, throw in the slow cooker with some beer and beef stock and dried chilli. When its done, pull it apart and put it in a shallow pan and mix with some good barbecue sauce. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects