Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Introduce yourself to the community

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Introduce yourself to the community

Welcome to your Workshop. It is great to have you as a member of the community. We encourage you to say hello and introduce yourself.

Please reply to this post and tell us a bit about yourself. Whatever information you feel comfortable sharing is fine.

You might like to tell us about your current D.I.Y. and garden projects, your work, your passions, your hobbies, your dreams, what you struggle with, what you hope to learn from this community, and/or your favourite ice cream flavour.

And for something truly revealing about yourself - tell us what you call a barbecued sausage served on a single piece of bread.

We look forward to your post and getting to know you. Thanks for joining the discussion.

Jason

Community Manager

Sunshine.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Introduce yourself to the community

@Baretta11 Hi Barbara, thank you for your thoughts :smile:

I live in South Australia, so no stumps here! My place was built in the 1970s, and I’ve got concrete foundations with joists and timber floors, except in the laundry, bathroom and toilet. The wet areas have some sort of concrete but not sure what kind judging from what I can see in the laundry - will know more when I start grinding it.

I’ve posted the beginnings of my Laundry Reno in the Bathroom and Laundry forum.

I’ve basically gutted it. Not having another laundry trough as the previous has rusted - due to the environment I live in. So, planning a cupboard along side my front loader, with a bench over the top - with a sink and various inlets for the washing machine bits.

I’m planning on using StoneCoat Epoxy on the bench. This is a practice for doing my Kitchen benchtop - it’s a low VOC, food safe, heat resistant 2 part from the USA. It’s possible to do designs using their base tints and metallics, plus it’s compatible with Rustoleum spray paints, cheers Deb :smile:

Hi Deb,

I'm a bit confused by your flooring description as you can't have joists if you have a concrete foundation under the entire home, unless you are saying you have concrete strip footings on the perimeter of the home like we have supporting a brick veneer perhaps, then inside that perimeter you may still have stumps on which your joists and bearers would sit?? If your home is a brick veneer it would have strip footings but if it is a weatherboard it wouldn't.

I have attached a few pics of our construction and it shows the outer veranda wall and inner house wall both of which have concrete strip footings and on top of them is the brick wall being built up to the required height to then take the decorative limestone bricks.

It's possible you have a concrete floor in your wet areas that have been poured by using a support base of some sort on top of joists and bearers, I have heard of that being done as once the concrete sets in those places it is just like a concrete floor on the ground perhaps meaning that you do in fact have stumps under your home anyway, you will no doubt know soon enough?

As for the epoxy, I have use Feast Watson liquid glass from Bunnings on our red gum table "top" (also pictured) only as it is very resilient to heat and I have placed hot plates directly from the oven on it with no damage whatsoever!!

I've recently used another epoxy primer called Norton I think which I bought from a paint store and it was used to fill large imperfections or features as they are referred to on red gum, that we used to create an overhang on our island bench for bar stool seating. The two legs supporting the bench had allot of borer holes and natural sap cracks and the liquid glass worked a treat. I have attached a before and after pic. I only used a marine polyurethane on this bench because the flooring polyurethane that was suggested I use as it's tougher,  just didn't cut it for shine. It was also used on the red gum table under carriage.

I'll have a look at your photo's and hope to continue to see your progress.

Cheers,

Barbara

Veranda Vents no 1.JPGBeares #3.jpgVeranda Prep #3.JPG100_3309.JPG100_3551.JPG100_3563.JPG

@Baretta11 Soz, in SA foundations are what you call strip footings. Whole of house on concrete is called a sllab here, hope that clarifies it, cheers Deb :0

@Mathy 

Yes I get that just you mentioned joists so I was confused. I got to see your progress, great job so far.

Good luck with it all, it's a big job even though it's just a small room!!

Cheers,

Barbara

shazzier3064
Finding My Feet

Hello! :smile:

My name is Sharon and I am new to the Workshop community. My partner and I are currently having our first home built, and we would love to work out some ways to do some sustainable DIY for our house - furniture, garden, landscaping. Even just house maintenance tips.

I am an absolute plant lover/killer (still learning) and a bit of an eco-nut.

It's nice to be here :laugh:

-Shaz

Hey Sharon @shazzier3064

Many thanks for introducing yourself. Congrats on the new home build - you must be really excited. How close is the house from being finished?

Make sure you check out @Tara86’s story on the blog section of Workshop to see what she did with her first home. I’m sure you’ll find it really inspiring. 

Welcome to Workshop. We’re rapt to have you join us.

Jason

@shazzier3064 

Hi Sharon, welcome to the community of Workshop.

Sounds like a very exciting time for you with the new build?

I'm sure if you check out the site you will find lots of things people have made with scrap timber, even pallets for example. Just browse the site and you will probably find what you are looking for.

Just a tip though, not sure if you are up to plaster stage but I failed dismally with not putting support timbers or noggins in for my curtains that I hung up high over the windows so the standard length sits nicely just above the skirting boards and now I'm going to have to cut the plaster, fit noggins into the framework and repair the plaster. Fortunately it's only on two of the larger windows as the curtains are heavier. I suppose I could have hung the curtains on the window frames but didn't want them that low.

Also I made sure to fit noggins for future artwork in each room as well as for things like the towel rail and toilet roll holder etc...

Best of luck with it all.

Cheers,

Barbara

Hello all.

My name is Nigel and I am new to the workshop community. This week my wife and I moved into our new house (the end result of a 3 year odyssy of delays and setbacks with the building company) and the concrete slap for my new 8m x 4m workshed has already been poured. I look forward to building it and moving all my hardware and tools out of the garage. For some strange reason my wife thinks that the garage is for parking cars in and not for woodworking; such a wacky idea, I know. :smile:

I love working with pallet and crate wood and get a great kick out of finishing a project and then starting a new one. I have a whiteboard that lists requested projects (my mother especially likes to put her orders in) and there are maybe a year a year or two worth of projects already listed.
I am interested in sharing ideas with workshop community. When it comes to woodworking, I am entirely self taught but I love expanding my horizons and techniques and trying things I have not tried before. Practice makes improvement and innovation is good for the soul.

Currently I have a couple pieces I am currently working on, but as a side project I am trying to build/carve a life size Deinonychus for fun from pallets which will look good in my new backyard. I have never carved before but it is hard to get the features just right. I have always loved dinosaurs, since I was a child.

Its great to be here in the workshop community.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey Nigel (@Arcc)

We are so rapt to have you join us. Fantastic to see you jump in with such enthusiasm, introduce yourself and share a wonderful project - your D.I.Y. power tool cabinets. We are sure you are going to inspire loads of our community members with your handiwork and can't wait to see more, especially your dinosaur! We're also sure that you'll find lots of like-minded members - we have many other pallet wood enthusiasts on the site sharing their creations. 

Congratulations on the new house. We are looking forward to seeing how you put your stamp on it, and seeing you knock off that list on the whiteboard.

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the Workshop site, or ever have any suggestions about how we can improve Workshop for you. 

Jason

Baretta11
Becoming a Leader

@Arcc 

Hi Nigel, welcome.

Wow a fantastic time for you at the moment with a new house and a workshed, um I mean garage ha-ha!!

Look forward to seeing pics of some of your projects when you settle in.

Cheers,

Barbara

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects