Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Introduce yourself to the community

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Introduce yourself to the community

Welcome to your Workshop. It is great to have you as a member of the community. We encourage you to say hello and introduce yourself.

Please reply to this post and tell us a bit about yourself. Whatever information you feel comfortable sharing is fine.

You might like to tell us about your current D.I.Y. and garden projects, your work, your passions, your hobbies, your dreams, what you struggle with, what you hope to learn from this community, and/or your favourite ice cream flavour.

And for something truly revealing about yourself - tell us what you call a barbecued sausage served on a single piece of bread.

We look forward to your post and getting to know you. Thanks for joining the discussion.

Jason

Community Manager

Sunshine.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Introduce yourself to the community

@gippslandhome 

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the kind words.

I have a page called "From Scratch" on Workshop where I have documented the building of our home. We did it all ourselves except for a few things not permitted by law. We did everything from the foundations to the frame to brickwork to plastering & tiling. No builder on site except for hubby who is a mechanic by trade but learned his building skills from his father who was a butcher by trade and built some spec homes back in the day when you could make a profit doing such things.

It has taken us almost 12 years to complete as we only used savings. We are farmers so if the season was ordinary the house sat for the next season with the hope it would be a better one!!

I had no building skills at all, I mean I could use a hammer etc...and I drive a tractor with hubby during the harvest so I'm cluey and very willing to learn and building this home has been the highlight of my life having drawn up the plans myself so I could have anything I wanted and in fact we allowed ourselves an indoor pool!!

I learned how to use the drop saw, nail gun, drill, grinder and I mixed allot of mortar and laid over 6000 foundation bricks when hubby was busy sowing our paddocks for the next season.I also learned what timbers were used for studs, noggins and door frames etc... quite honestly I had a ball and wish I was young enough to build another home but at 62 now, this home will be the one and only!!

We have finally succeeded and we are darn proud of our achievements, now I must be off, I milk dairy cows for a neighbour on the weekends!!

All the best once again with your new found venture.

Cheers,

Barbara

Wow Barbara, what a life long achievement that not many get to experience. I have to say your abilities are amazing and just the fact you were willing to give it a go is such an encouragement and a huge motivator for me.

I have grown up in the construction industry and I never stop learning. 

I lived on a dairy farm in Gippsland for 8 years, did the whole milking thing and poddy calves😁.

I was a kid though and life was so fun. 

Great to hear some of your story. I've been very encouraged and motivated for my own future ahead

Take care.

Warm regards Rob 👍

Hi Community,

Last year, as I was about to return to Oz from the UK, my daughter sent me a photo of a dining table made from recycled pallets.  It also came with a hint - as she was about to move into her first apartment!  So, I acquired a stack of pallets (most of them still in the driveway) and began.  Some months later, the table emerged, and a few months after that, a coffee table for the other daughter.  

In the meantime, I have also indulged myself and bought a whole lot of big tools - mitre saw, router table and planer.  So, I'm delighted to have stumbled on this group as I begin to upskill for the inevitible requests for more pallet furniture from the family.

I hope that in due course I can give, as well as get, advice.

Cheers

KevinPic1.JPGPic2.jpg

A big welcome @KevinC 

Wow some exciting projects completed already and its great to learn a bit about yourself.

The Community I have found is so friendly and so approachable, that I love sharing many of my ideas and thoughts openly.

I look forward to seeing your many talents in the projects you share with the community.

Kind regards Rob 👍

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Wonderful to have you join us @KevinC. You might like to also pop those two table projects on the gallery so that they are more widely seen by other Workshop community members. We certainly have loads of members keen on sharing ideas and inspiration for pallet creations.   

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site. I'm sure you'll get plenty of value from browsing the posts and joining in the discussions. 

Welcome,

Jason

@KevinC,

Hi Kevin, welcome to the community.

I can't say I have ever been a fan of pallet furniture, as what I have seen in the past looks rather rough but I must say your examples are nothing like I expected. They look very well finished and quite professional and your table legs look very strong now the way you have joined two pieces giving the table added strength and stability, so well done and I'm sure you're right that you will have other family members and friends looking for you to build more for them from pallets.

Cheers,

Barbara

Hi Community,

I’m Deb and my DIY/renovation experience has mostly come from helping my Dad (dead keen on DIY) and 3 house renovations. My working career has been pretty varied and includes some time spent in the Big Green Tin Shed.

I’ve started renovating my 1970s Unit (and yes I have a kitchen to match some of those I’ve seen here 😂 ). Because I’m currently unemployed due to a diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis last year (and at 63yo not likely to gain employment), I will be doing all the work that doesn’t require a tradie. To be done: laundry, kitchen, bathroom and toilet, starting with the laundry.

I’m very blessed, summer view from my lounge room - as we’re currently experiencing the “polar low” it’s more like Antartica today, cheers Deb

Small Sunset Again.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

What a spectacular view! Many thanks for introducing yourself, Deb (@Mathy). It's wonderful to have you join the community.  

We're looking forward to sharing your renovation journey with you. We have loads of helpful members who will be more than happy to assist you along the way with information, advice and inspiration. 

Perhaps you'd like to start by hitting the Start a discussion and sharing your plans for the laundry? If you could post photos and some detail about what you'd like to achieve, that would be a great way to start. 

Jason

Hi, community,

I am archer. I love to read DIY ideas for my home.
I have bought a new home in Sydney. The home needs a renovation job.
So, I am here to get DIY ideas for my home.

A big warm welcome @Archerbayles 

Congratulations on the purchase of your new home. 

You will find that there is a very friendly group of people here in this community who very friendly, professional and full of inspiration.

Good luck with your renovations.

Kind regards Rob 👍

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects