Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Introduce yourself to the community

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Introduce yourself to the community

Welcome to your Workshop. It is great to have you as a member of the community. We encourage you to say hello and introduce yourself.

Please reply to this post and tell us a bit about yourself. Whatever information you feel comfortable sharing is fine.

You might like to tell us about your current D.I.Y. and garden projects, your work, your passions, your hobbies, your dreams, what you struggle with, what you hope to learn from this community, and/or your favourite ice cream flavour.

And for something truly revealing about yourself - tell us what you call a barbecued sausage served on a single piece of bread.

We look forward to your post and getting to know you. Thanks for joining the discussion.

Jason

Community Manager

Sunshine.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Introduce yourself to the community

@Baretta11 I know, I'm guilty of being super excited at the start but struggle to finish.

The only jobs I probably won't do myself is plastering, electrical and water sealing in the bathrooms. Everything else will be down to my two hands.

DC

@dallasclark,

We have been building for 11 years and have just moved in, albeit there are still a few things to do to finish but nothing that is stopping us from living in the home.

We are just everyday people, farmers in fact and we have allowed ourselves an indoor pool and we have been lucky enough to either have the equipment or borrow friends stuff to dig the pool hole, foundations etc...

Our electrician decided to teach me to do the wiring and plugs etc... so I literally ran all the wiring and connected up most of the power points and down lights with the sparky checking everything along the way of course and hubby and I did all the plastering but employed a professional to stop and sand and then I painted the entire home myself.

As for the bathroom sealing, we did everything ourselves again including the water proofing but didn't just do the shower area, we waterproofed the entire bathroom. I found the watrproofing very easy to use withg the cloth fabric in all the corners and joins etc...

We used villaboard, not plaster in all the bathrooms as we tiled to the ceiling, something I just love the look of.

I was very worried about doing the silicone because that can end up looking so bad if you get it wrong but after looking at some tutorials on utube, I decided to give it a go and of course the more I did the better I got. I decided on the soapy water method and I bought a pack of shaped plactic scrapers with different profiles from our favourite store and just found the ones that worked the best for each job whether it was for a perfect really low profile straight edge to a broader seam. There are people who argue the soapy water isn't a good method and others swear by it as have I now, as it worked a treat because it left all the surrounding areas safe from silicone being smudged everywhere to only being where it was meant to be.

Cheers,

Barbara

MosaicAvatar
Finding My Feet

Hey everyone,

My name is Kevin, I am a mosaic artist and also member of a local community art group. When I'm able, I like to dabble in electronics, gardening, photography, woodworking, making art from scrap, and I love playing every day with Oliver, my 2 year old Border Collie x Kelpie. I am currently working on restoring and repurposing a flood damaged TV cabinet, to make a cabinet to store all my dog's toys, leashes, and food.

The first cabinet I made, which is mostly reused materials except for the hinges, knobs, stain, and adhesive.The first cabinet I made, which is mostly reused materials except for the hinges, knobs, stain, and adhesive.
My dog, Oliver (left) and BFF Tess who lives next door.My dog, Oliver (left) and BFF Tess who lives next door.

Wonderful to have you join us Kevin (@MosaicAvatar) and many thanks for introducing yourself. I'm sure you'll find many community members who share your interests, and hopefully get inspired by some of their work. We certainly look forward to seeing some of your projects and reading about your plans. Feel free to post whenever you need assistance with anything or have a new project to share. I'd also love to hear from you if you ever have any feedback about how we can improve Workshop for you. 

Thanks again,

Jason

@MosaicAvatar

Hi kevin,

A very warm welcome to the community.

I simply love your cabinet, it is very stylish and perhaps a little too nice for doggy stuff ha-ha

I recently restored an old pine box that had also been water damaged and it came up quite nice albeit I stained it to try to cover the pine as I really don't like pine timber, before and after photo attached. Also liquid glassed a red gum burl you can see in the background.

100_3291.JPG100_3294.JPG

I recently had a go at mosaics and I made a birdbath out of steel as well as a street sign, photo's attached of before and after of the birdbath and finished street sign.

100_3270.JPG100_3297.JPG100_3416.JPG

Finally a picture of my bestest friend too as I tell my dog Ruby most days

RUBY.jpg

I can't wait to see some of your other projects.

Cheers,

Barbara

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

G'day to my fellow Australians.

Had a lotta trouble joining - not good with PCs - but finally got there.

I'm just a backyard tinkerer and I'm hoping to learn from others and hopefully contribute.

Looks like a great site.

Amatuer welder as well and always looking for tips to improve. My latest "creation" was a mobile firebucket...

Cheers.

Graeme.

Compress.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Glad to have you join us @Noyade. Sorry to hear you had trouble. Feel free to shoot me an email at workshop@workshop.com.au if you ever have trouble getting the most from the site. I'd be happy to help.

There are plenty of other "backyard tinkerers" around these parts so I'm sure you'll fit right in! As you browse you'll find loads of great project ideas and helpful advice. Feel free to post whenever you need a hand or have something to share. 

Jason

sprayman
Getting Established

Hi there, and hello from Auckland.
I'm Clayton and work at bunnings in Mount Wellington.
Prior to working at bunnings, I was a registered chemical applicator for 20+ years involved with weed control within parks, reserves, golf courses, roading etc... within Auckland.
I value education above all else within this field as I believe if you give someone the right tools and information, you empower them.
I look forward to being a part of this community and sharing and learning.
See you in the discussions
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Good to have you join us Clayton (@sprayman). Sounds like you will have a lot to offer members when we are discussing weed control!

A very warm welcome to the community. We look forward to reading more about your projects and plans. 

Jason

Thanks Barbara,

The cabinet in my introduction isn't the dog cabinet, it's a TV/entertainment cabinet I made from reused timber. I'll post before and after pics of the dog cabinet when it's finished, which will hopefully be very soon. 

I can relate to you calling your dog your best friend, as I do the same. He can be a bit of a mischief at times, but I call him a good mishief and I wouldn't trade him for anything. One of my future projects will include a gate to keep him on my veranda and out of sight, when I learn to use my new MIG welder. 

You can view some of my completed projects on my website, mosaics are at at  http://mosaicavatar.com 

and other projects at  http://mosaicavatar.com/?page_id=17 
Oliver de Waggly Wascal also has his own blog at  https://oliverishappy.wordpress.com 

Kind regards,
Kevin

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects